Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly it's over

Unhappy Suddenly it's over

My daughter is 13 months and we were just forced to wean very unexpectedly. All of a sudden this week she started refusing to nurse, arching away and crying every time we tried. After a couple days I realized she had a lot of little sores in her mouth, her dr. says it's a common viral infection and very painful. I think she's over it now but she still won't nurse b/c she associates it with the pain. So I've decided to just let it go. We're trying to get pregnant again and I was thinking we might wean in the next few months. But I thought we would have more time to prepare and get used to the idea. I can't help feeling very sad about it. I miss it.

Default Re: Suddenly it's over

IF you are ready to accept it...I feel for ya. It must be hard.

IF you want to try to begin again, try a lot of skin to skin contact and cuddling....especially when LO is real sleepy...you might just get LO to latch on again.

Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

i dread the day that it all comes to an end. how fast the days go past....

Aw that IS sad. I'm so sorry such a special and wonderful thing ended so painfully. You nursed past her first birthday and have done very well for her and hopefully have some great nursing memories. I totally understand your wanting to let it go. Why force her to do something she's suddenly scared to do when she is fine without it? But I'm so sorry you couldn't have had a more gradual and natural weaning and time to get used to the idea first. I could support both ends.. she's old enough to wean without needing formula, but you COULD probably get her back on if you wanted to.. If you are about to get pregnant again, perhaps you'd feel better about it if you took the opportunity to go out for a drink or something that you won't be able to do soon? I don't know. Maybe you just need to be sad for a little while and then, like your dd, move on.

I'm sorry.

Hi,

From your post is sounds like your LO has Hand, Foot, & Mouth or any of the other entoviruses that causes the sores in the mouth. My son had this when he was about 12 months old. He refused to nurse for several days unless he was bone tired, he would go to latch and arch his back and scream, then he'd cry b/c he wanted to nurse but was just in too much pain to do so. It does take about 3 weeks for the sores and symptoms to clear up.

Our Pedi did have a solution for us, I guess they call it "Magic Mouthwash" and let me tell you it's magic all right!!!

Your Pedi can call in the scrip for you and have it mixed, or our Pedi just had us buy the two medicines and mix it on our own. It is a combination of Milk of Magnesia and Benedryl (children's of course). It's a one to one ratio, so 1 teaspoon of Benedryl and 1 teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia mixed up. The pharmicists will also tell you the dosage for Benedryl based on your childs weight. Now my husband is in the nursing field, so we felt comfortable mixing it at home, but it's really easy to get the pharmacy to do it too if your Pedi calls it in. The medicine works by coating their throat and tongue with the benedryl and gets them comfortable enough to nurse.

I'd call your Pedi and ask about it, it really saved our nursing relationship and got my son back to the breast.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Thanks so much for all the support and advice. I know it's technically a strike but it's been 5 days and she still reacts violently if I try to get her to nurse. Otherwise she's not upset by not nursing. I think the right thing for is to let it go. But it helps to cry a little and vent here.

Mine is 13 month old too, and we are getting to an end of this beautiful breastfeeding journey. My lo is accepting it better than me .... it is hard, I had no idea how hard it would be. Hugs to you

oh, that's hard. I agree with the earlier post - try nursing when your lo is sleepy or sleeping - she might revert back to autopilot, nursing should go back to being a comfort not painful, how confusing for her!

Quote Originally Posted by kmeiszer View Post
    After a couple days I realized she had a lot of little sores in her mouth, her dr. says it's a common viral infection and very painful.
    Not bf related, but ...

Hand-foot-and-mouth disease, probably. One of my kids had it. I also had it, a long time (a year) after my daughter. It seriously sucked. I lost 10 pounds, though. There's something.

Good luck!