Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old troubles... Pls help

Question 5 month old troubles... Pls help

Dd will be 5 months old on the 29. She nurses great. She is taking some fruit and loves it. The problem is she won't sleep. She can put herself to sleep but she only sleeps for 15-45 minutes at a time. AT night she'll sleep from 7- 12 or 1 and the wake up every 2 hours. After the second feeding she frefuses to sleep in her bed. I can't cosleep, I;m just too paranoid to get any rest. What's a mama to do? She was sleeping through the night, at 3 mo and then at 4 months started ot wake up again. Her ped. just says to try to stretch her feedings. Yeah right. I'm not against CIO, but she's in our room at night and the only other place is in our 2 year olds room. The past days she has been really cranky and sleeping worse than normal. I'm guessing it's her teeth. . Sorry it's so long but I'm just at the end of my rope. I'm soo tired. I can't even get in a nap. Dh tries to take her and give her a bottle but she won't take it from anyone but me. Does anyone have any advice or gone through anything similar? Thanks in advance

Default Re: 5 month old troubles... Pls help

While its not what a tired mama wants to hear - 7-12 or 1 is a good long stretch of time. (4-5 hours of sleep in a row is actually considered sleeping through) Your little one is just doing it while you're still awake in the early evening

Can you push back her bed time and you go to bed earlier?

That's just one thought.

Here's a link with a lot of nice sleep info

good luck :tumbsup
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi, Just want to say we just got over that 5 month thing. That was a crazy month for my lo. She would nap terribly, cranky alot etc... I am thinking it was teething/growth spurt. She just got two bottom teeth. Now she is doing better. Sleeping longer etc.. Also if she is learning a new milestone that makes lo's system crazy from what I have read. My lo started to crawl and she napped horribly till she got it down. Now that she can crawl and her two bottom teeth are in she is napping great (knock on wood). Hang in there! It will get better.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

I know its tough but I think it does go away. My lo was just like yours, sleeping great and napping fairly wel l and then for several weeks it was just a nightmare. She is approaching 6 mths and things just started settling down. I think its teething and rolling conbined with this new awareness that they have at this age. If you can just tough it out, ours was only a wreck for about 3 weeks, I know this doesn't help much but at least you know it will be over!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Welcome!

My LO is 5 months and sounds a lot like yours. He sleeps until about midnight or 1:00 am then is up constantly. He will actually stay up for 2 or 3 hours during the night before falling alseep again. Everyone tells me to let him CIO, but I just don't feel right about that. He doesn't nap well either. We've developed a bed time routine, but I'm not sure if it is making any difference.

I'm hoping it is a stage that he will be out of soon! I don't have a solution. If I find something that works, I'll let you know.

It is so hard to be up all night!
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

My 5 MO has been doing this since 4 MO. I think it's teething. Once he cut his first tooth he slept through the night and had normal naps for like 3 days, now he's back to the terrible sleeping. BUT I can see the 2nd tooth is about to pop up any day now.

Hang in there- seems like this is typical behavior for a 5 MO.

BTW we've been up since 4 AM w/ only 30 minutes of naps!!! I'm tired. DS has a cold on top of the teething so it's been awful lately.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Same here my 3 month old is teething and wakes up 5 or 6 times to use me as a pacifier, we co sleep. I am not sure if its worse to cosleep b/c she smells my milk but haven't been successful with crib

Well its good to know I'm not the only one with a ill 5 MO. She has been crying constantly and wont lay down to sleep or play all she wants is to be held or nurse (not complaining here) . I think her ears are hurting b/c of the teething but i dont know it has been a while since my son teethed.

Thanks ladies, I guess it's something we'll just have to wait out. " This too shall pass". It's good to know I'm not the only one though. Thanks for your replies.