Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mastitis + Vomiting Baby, Please help!

Default Mastitis + Vomiting Baby, Please help!

A few days ago I was feeling sore when nursing, and thought D was biting. Yesterday I woke up with a hot, red blockage in my breast. As the day progressed I got the flu symptoms associted with mastitis. I rested as much as possible and used the KellyMom homeopathic treatment of Phytolacca alternating with Hepar Sulphar. I also took some lecithin to try to help the blockage.

Daniel isn't nursing very much, and my affected side is engorged no matter how much he sucks. I can get milk out with hand expression, but not a lot, and it hurts.

Randomly in the middle of the night tonight Daniel started vomiting. He doesn't ever spit up, never did. He is vomiting up about 10-20 minutes after nursing.

Could this be the homepathics? The lecithin? The blockage making him sick? What should I do? Pump & Dump?

I really need some suggestions fast.

Thanks
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Mastitis + Vomiting Baby, Please help!

Eeek... I have no idea. Will send your post on to a girlfriend of mine that is a LLL Leader and see what she thinks, she is an early riser so she might be up....
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Well, according to my friend Ali it could definitely be the homeopathics. She reccommended stopping the meds and nursing and resting with hot compresses in between.
    Do you have a fever? She also agreed with the docs I talked to the other day re: Serena's mastitis that if you have a fever you might want to think about antibiotics.

Weird... mastitis is not contagious via the web but it sure seems to be "going around."
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

oh, lyn!! and poor d!!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Thanks. He didn't vomit again last night. I kept him elevated just in case. I did stop taking the homeopathics and the lecithin just in case. I emailed Dr Newman and he said that he doubts the meds were making D ill, perhaps we both caught a flu that set me up for mastitis. I have no idea. But he is happy as a clam now.

I, on the other hand, am in SO much pain. I think the clogs are coming out because when D nurses, I will get random sharper pains, and then relief. I don't know. We're going to the doctor today. This is one of the worst pains ever.

Lyn
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Thanks. He didn't vomit again last night. I kept him elevated just in case. I did stop taking the homeopathics and the lecithin just in case. I emailed Dr Newman and he said that he doubts the meds were making D ill, perhaps we both caught a flu that set me up for mastitis. I have no idea. But he is happy as a clam now.

I, on the other hand, am in SO much pain. I think the clogs are coming out because when D nurses, I will get random sharper pains, and then relief. I don't know. We're going to the doctor today. This is one of the worst pains ever.

Lyn
    I must say I am probably a little more for antibiotics for mastitis than many around here, but I think even kellymom suggests that mastitis that does not respond to self-care within 24-48 hours might require antibiotics to prevent abscess. I personally would not hesitate to take antibiotics in your situation.
    Glad to hear the D is over the vomiting. You don't need that on top of being ill yourself!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I'd bet money the homeopathics weren't the cause of his vomiting. But I am glad he stopped last night.

Get yourself to the doc and get and ABX rx since it's been a few days.

Does applying heat before hand expression help the pain?

Don't forgot your probitoics while on them and get rest -& fliuds - lots of it
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Does applying heat before hand expression help the pain?

Don't forgot your probitoics while on them and get rest -& fliuds - lots of it
    I found that moist heat was especially helpful, before nursing or expressing. A towel soaked in hot water worked best for me, applied for about 10 minutes prior to nursing.
    I should have mentioned the probiotics, rest and fluids as well. Even after you are feeling better, continue resting as much as possible and don't overdo it.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

You poor thing! Ouch - mastitis is horrible!!!! It IS one of the worst pains....I would get on antibiotics straight away and you should feel better by tomorrow.

Dr @ the Urgent Care wrote a script for dicloxacill. She was really nice and pro-bf but when I mentioned my concern about thrush, etc she said, "Well, its very rare that we see adults with thrush." Did she forget in two minutes that I was there for a breastfeeding issue?

Lyn
    Lyn