Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you co-sleep?

Question How do you co-sleep?

Hi! My daughter is 23 days old and the only time I've gotten any decent sleep since her birth is when I put her in bed with me and my husband. Otherwise she has been sleeping in a pack n' play right next to our bed. That works ok, but after I feed her and rock her back to sleep, I get 1.5 hours if I'm lucky until she wakes up and wants to do it all over again.

I have been reluctant to put her in bed with us all the time because of concerns for safety issues. We have a bed that is rather high off the floor and our mattress has a "pillow top" so it's kind of squishy.

I am wondering how others co-sleep safely. Is it unwise to put a baby on a mattress that is a bit more soft?

Thank you!!
    Jen

Default Re: How do you co-sleep?

Baby delight makes a "snuggle nest" www.babydelight.com
    I have one and I used it with ds, I am not using it with dd.
    I am using the arms reach co seeper.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

We co-sleep & have a pillow top. DD's crib is pushed up next to the bed to keep her from falling off. I have blankets in between the gap of the bed & crib to keep her from getting stuck in between. KWIM? You can get bed rails, but I was told they don't fit on pillow tops. You can also do a side sleeper or convert a crib to a side car. I will try to look up some links for you...

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

I don't use anything. We just push the pillows away from his face (well really his whole body) and I sleep on one side, dh on one side and usually the dog gets on by my feet. If she even breathes heavy anymore i wake up, and she isn't allowed near Gage on the bed
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

We co-sleep as well and with a pillowtop. At first we weren't using anything, but I converted the mini-crib into a side car arrangement, and he has been sleeping in that more and more often lately. But I can still nurse laying down, but sometimes he is still in the bed with us. Hey at least you are in the bed with her, for the first 2 months I slept on the couch with him! The bed is much more safer then the couch, and alot more comfortable! Enjoy the extra sleep that you get!

well as a newborn co-sleeping was the only way we got sleep. We have a squishy bed too, a nautica air something or other. Anyhow, DS slept in between us. then when he would wake and sleep in the nook of an arm, next to DH shoulder. or he slept on our chest a lot. Now that he is bigger, you could say LO kicked daddy out of the bed. We did the arms reach co=sleeper for a month and then all the sudden his sleep went out the window and LO was back in our bed and daddy was out, for room reasons. So its me and my 4 month old. He loves it and DH actuallly doesnt mind because he gained much more sleep out of the deal. DH gets to sleep through the night now. I think most moms will wake at any noise their aby makes so co-sleeping is not that unsafe. that being said there have been a couple of nights I was so tired I woke up with my arm on LO's head or my blanket creeping up onto LO.

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06

The snuggle nest is quite nice. But since this is my 3rd baby I don't even use it. DD just sleeps in the middle and I wake up immediately if she gets uncomfortable! Nature is amazing! Or other times I just take her in my arms and we both fall asleep instantly!

Snuggle test? I never did it. We have a bassinet that we've used like four times. My little one's been sleeping with us from about two weeks and what I always did was put him in the middle of the bed. At first to make sure that the blankets wouldn't end up over his head I would make sure we were at the same head to head lever and then put the blankets over us. I think its helped him sleep through the night as well b/c he will sleep between 4-5 hours between feedings at night but still eat every 2-3 hours during the day. Happy co-sleeping!

Oh and now that he's used to the bed he refuses to get in the bassinet the mattress isn't as soft as our. I tried adding a pillow but that wasn't safe, from mop if he can sink into it then its unsafe.

I am a big fan of the nursing nest. Both of my babies were very small and I felt very secure with the nest. I used it until my DS grew out of it. At 15 mo's I have his crib attatched to the side of my bed so we all have our own space. This worked very well with my DD. At two she transitioned very easily into her own bed in her own room. People always ay how tiring the first few months can be. I feel I was truly spared much of that with co sleeping

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

We have a queen-sized pillowtop. I also have an Arms-reach co-sleeper. Because of the pillowtop, there's maybe a 6-8 inch drop into the co-sleeper (and the risers are supposedly unstable so we didn't get them). Therefore, my LO starts off in the co-sleeper but ends up in bed with me. I just push the blankets and pillows out of the way. My husband has been sleeping on the couch since my LO was born (2+ months). I'd like to get him back in bed with us, but I don't know how to safely do so! So far, I'm really in tune with my LO...if he waves his hands, I wake up. But I can't help but worry I might miss a cue...

I just wish I knew what was safe. It seems like everything is "unsafe" these days! I suppose it would be safest to move him to the co-sleeper after each feeding, but it seems so unweildy. In fact, everything about nightfeeding seems unweildy (I usually side-feed and sometimes fall asleep...yet another worry!).
    Last edited by quilla; November 4th, 2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: adding siggie!