Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cereal & period

Default cereal & period

quick question, does your period start back up when you start cereal? for btdt moms who were ebf, then started cereal, is this when it came back or does it just depend on how much they are nursing?
    thanks!

Default Re: cereal & period

When you get your period back depends on a whole lot of different factors. Of course, nursing frequency plays a big role, but also pacifier use, mother's age and weight, and apparently if mom takes a nap with the baby in the afternoon (I'm not making this up; I read it somewhere!).

I have a good friend who's period came back 2 mo pp while she was 100% ebf, pretty much every 1-2 hours round the clock. She didn't introduce solids until months later. My period came back at 9 mo pp. By that point, ds was eating solids probably 2-3 times a day. He'd been eating solids for some months. Neither of our babies has ever used a pacifier.

I think the idea that solids will cause your period to come back might come from some moms who introduce too much solids and cause the baby to decrease nursing which of course can lead to the return of the mother's period. Ideally, solids should be very gradually introduced and should not begin to take the place of breastmilk in the baby's diet until about 11-12 mo.

I was exclusively breastfeeding TWINS and got my period when I introduced solids. Bummer.

I did exclusively BF my son the first 6 months, then introduce solids gradually; he's 12 months old and I still haven't got my period. I do nurse him frequently, we co-sleep, no bottles or paci, he's pretty much stuck on me.

Oh, forgot to mention a good book, Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing, it will pretty much answer most of your questions.

Of course it could also be just a coincidence that a mom's period comes back near the time her baby starts solids.

I wish mine would have stayed away longer.

thanks for the replies! it sounds like it's just a personal thing when it starts again, huh?