Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply since mom was sick for a couple of days

Default Low milk supply since mom was sick for a couple of days

Hi friends,

My son is 71/2 months old now. We went on a vacation for a month and I supplimented him 1 or 2 times a day in order to slowly wean him. Both of us were sick as soon as we came back. I was sick for 4-5 days. My let-down was very slow and my milk supply dropped by almost 50%( I pump at work). So I supplimented him even after returning from vacation. But he showed a lot of interest in BF and he didn't like drinking from a bottle. I want to go back to EBF. Is it too late now? Please advise.
    I'm a working mom and I can BF him only in the evenings and night and before going to work in the morning.
    Thank you in advance for your advice.

Thanks,
    VishMom

Default Re: Low milk supply since mom was sick for a couple of days

did u take any meds some times sudifed will lower your milk supply

I haven't used any medicines other than tylenol...

I would ask a lactation consultant for advice. Here's my unprofessional ideas... the more I read about milk supply issues though the more I read that the best solution is to nurse nurse nurse! I know you work like you said, but, I would nurse every chance I got and maybe pump before nursing (baby takes out more milk than a pump can, so doing this will really drain your breasts well and possibly stimulate more milk). I would avoid supplementing with formula as every time you do that you are sending a message to your body that it doesn't need to make milk just then. Can you nurse during the day even once? Not sure how far your childcare is. Like I said I would talk to a consultant, but my experience in talking to them leads me to believe there is hope in this situation as milk production is supply & demand. You just need to demand more and your supply will follow in a couple of weeks or so. Best of luck & let us know how it goes!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Perhaps take 2 days off work and nurse nurse nurse? And fenugeek drink?

I once had a bad flu that caused my supply to drop tremendously too. But I continue nursing and within a week, supply is back up like usual. Of cos, I dint take the whole week off...but like I say, take a couple of days off...that will up to boost ur supply back up. Then continue pumping when you are in office...and pump 5 mins longer than usual...that should do the trick.

Take fenugeek...that helped me too.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice friends! I'll try to nurse him as much as I can. I'll try the fenugreek too. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks,
    VishMom