Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to feed after pump

Default when to feed after pump

i am a sahm but i just started pumping to build a supply of milk in case for when i go exercise. by the time i feed my 8 week ds, get down stairs, get him situated, get pump ready, etc. it's been an hour or two since his last feed, depending what went on with my older one.

my question is, how long after i've pumped will i be able to produce milk for a full feeding? sometimes he's hungry 30 min after i'm done, sometimes an hour or two. since i don't have an overabundant supply i'm afraid to pump in case i don't have enough milk for the following feeding. thanks for any help/advice!!

Default Re: when to feed after pump

I would pump right after he gets done eating you wont get much but it will help with your supply and then you will be able to build up a stash. If I pumped later with my ds he always wanted to eat right after and boy would he get pi*sed if he didn't get enough.

Thanks! Never thot BF would be so hard! I figured I can do it or I can't. I have to keep talking myself into persisting with it...

Keep up the good work. It will get better! Trust me. I agree with PP, pump after baby eats. You may only get an ounce, but do that a few times a day, and you'll have a whole bottle!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

thanks for posting this question---I struggle with it, too.
    Question part two: can I combine the milk I get from those pumping sessions? Or, is it possible to use hand pump like this:

feed, pump (get an ounce), wait hours until hungry again leaving milk in hand pump, feed, pump again and just pump directly into the ounce from previous session.

wow. i need to learn how to speak/write more concisely.
    sorry. i hope that makes sense. thanks.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

I don't know about using the same container (for how long), but you can certainly combine milk from several pumping sessions, if you don't have a problem with milk going bad too fast (lipase).

As long as you refridgerate it between pumpings you should be ok. Pumping for 5-8min, but not more than 2oz total, right after nursing shouldn't interfere with your lo nursing at the next feeding.