Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blocked Tear Ducts

Default Blocked Tear Ducts

My LO is 3 1/2 weeks and for the last 10 days or so he has had a lot of yellow goo around his eyes. It just started before my last ped visit and she said it was blocked tear ducts and to massage the ducts a few times a day. Anyone else had this issue? It's not clearing up - any other remedies to try? It doesn't seem to bother him, more me just cause it looks icky!

Default Re: Blocked Tear Ducts

Anyone else had this issue?

Yeah, like most of us probably . Its very common. Ped gave us some eyedrop. I know some people put few drops of BM into the eye. It'll go away eventually. Nothing to worry about

My ds had the same thing about 3 months old. I thought it was pink eye and took him to pedi and got antibiotic eye drops that seemed to help while he was getting them but as soon as I stopped the discharge came back. After doing some research I started massaging the inner corner of his eye and the discharge went away within a month. I told pedi about it at 4mth check up and he said it was probably a blocked duct. HTH
    first time mommy to Wyatt Ethan 2-16-07; 7lbs 6oz; 21.5 in
    At 6month visit 15lbs 15oz; 27.5 in long

All 3 of my kids had them. I didn't use any drops or anything, just wiped it away and massaged. My youngest still had his until he was about 14 months old, and then it went away on its own.

It looks yucky, but it's not harmful in any way.

we used a warm compress and massage and it cleared up after a few days.

Warm steamy baths or showers also help, if you're comfortable showering with the baby. You can massage the tear duct right there with help from the steam!

DD#1 never had this, DD#2 had it so bad it got infected (I didn't know what it was at the time, or what to do about it) and since hers had become infected it caused a fever...and we ended up in the hospital for 3 days because they needed to rule out other infections/cause for fever (meningitis). I'm sure had I known what to do about it sooner, I wouldn't have had that experience. BUT it is VERY common and its not USUALLY something that requires a 3 day hospital stay

I wish I had LLL back then!

massaging, wiping away the crust/goo should help...and I have hear a few drops of breast milk will clear it up too. Another thing I wish I'd known then!

My son's left eye had a blocked tear duct till he was around 3.5 months old. I think he fixed it himself as around this time, he was gaining much more control over his hands and the gentle massage we'd given it was nothing compared to the vigorous rubbing he'd do.

Apparently it's very common.
    What we did with our son was:
    1. Put a few drops of breastmilk into his eye (breastmilk has antibodies in it, and it's also anti-inflammatory). You can drop the milk directly from the breast into the eye or use a dropper.
    2. Massage the inner corner of the eye where the tear duct is.
    3. Then wipe the eye with a cotton swab dipped in a bit of cooled black tea (tea acts as a disinfectant). Wipe from the OUTSIDE corner in.
    My son's eyes cleared up in a week or two, if I didn't remember wrong.

HTH.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

actually, my son (he's almost 4 weeks) had it. the pediatrician prescribed eye drops which only kind of helped...but my doula (at my postpartum appt.) told me to massage the corner (duct) and put a few drops of breast milk. it sounded kind of weird but i did it, and i kid you not, his eye does not crust up anymore! it was seriously a miracle. try the breastmilk drops and massaging the duct. it worked WAY better than the drops.