Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply down - Introduced Sollids ?

Default Supply down - Introduced Sollids ?

I was just wondering. I started dd on solids on Monday. And now I've noticed that my supply is down in my right breast. And the left breast (wich has always had a little milk) is now almost completely dried up. Should I just pump every missed feed or is this nature's way of weaning?
    PS. I don't want to stop bfeeding just yet!

Default Re: Supply down - Introduced Sollids ?

Maybe you should cut back on the amount of solids that you are giving LO. I thought that solids should be used to supplement, but not replace BF -- and should just be used to give them the tastes/textures of new foods so that it is easier to transition them to solids later on. Hopefully more time at the breast will boost your supply back to where it was! I started my twins on solids at about 5.5 m since they were trying to eat what I was eating -- we jsut started with small quantities (a little on my finger or a teaspoon or two) of banana and avocado. They hated the rice cereal! At almost 8m, the twins are eating solids now 3 times a day, but they are getting the same amount of BM as they did at 6m. We have just slowly increased the amount as they were interested.

Cutting back on solids would probably help bring your milk supply back up. Another idea would be to make sure that you nurse dd before offering solids. Solid foods should be in addition to, not in place of breastmilk throughout the whole first year of life. HTH.

Tiana

Thank you LLLTina. I thought solids replaced bfeeding! Now I'll nurse and then offer her solids!! Thank you so much!!!

You're welcome. So glad to be able to help.

Tiana