Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excessive Lipase

Default Excessive Lipase

I admittedly do not know a lot about the excessive lipase issue. Can someone please educate me on this? I remember when Shiloh was little I built up a HUGE freezer stash only to find that once I defrosted some milk to leave him EBM, it stunk to high heaven. It smelled awful, just like rotten milk...but I had put it away fresh and had properly stored it.

I didn't seem to have as much of a problem if I pumped and put the milk in the fridge and warmed it later...but sometimes I remember that it would smell. What's the deal? Was it excessive lipase? We didn't use the freezer stash a whole lot...if I wanted to leave a bottle for him, I usually pumped it fresh.

TIA,
    Leslie

ETA: is it likely that I will have this problem with subsequent children?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: Excessive Lipase

Lipase is an enzyme in everyone's milk. Some have more of it than others. It helps to break down fats in the milk. Usually this happens when the milk is in baby's tummy. Sometimes moms find their milk turns "bad" metallic, or very awful tasting a few hours after pumping, or others notice that their frozen stash is yuck. These moms may have excess lipase where the lipase enzyme begins breaking down the milk before baby had it.

If a mom suspects she has excess lipase - the way to get past this is by scalding milk to 145 for one minute or 160 for 15 seconds. This process inactivates the lipase enzyme.

The way I realized my issue was probably excess lipase was that if I scalded my milk it didn't taste awful. If you wanted to see if this helps you, you could scald some milk and then do some taste tests at set intervals. Compare the taste of scalded vs. unscalded milk and you would be able to get a guestimate of how long you could do before scalding (if scalding helps your situation).

There's a huge thread over on the milk storage forum - I suggest going there to check that out. It's got a wealth of info. there. There are a few different ways to scald -- in a pan on the stove, in a bottle warmer, etc. The other forums have lots of info. on these too.

Also, using the search feature in the forums (the one with the down arrow by it) would give you lots of info. too.

Some have this issue with other children and others do not... it's another wait and see thing.

HTH,
    Caroline

Default Re: Excessive Lipase

Here's the huge lipase / scalding thread that csan is referring to:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297

From what I've read - everyone's experience is a little different. Some women need to scald almost immediately after pumping and others can keep their EBM in the fridge for a day or two before it starts to smell / taste like yuck.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)