Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Normal bf pattern for 9m old?

Default Normal bf pattern for 9m old?

I am bfing my 9m old exclusively except for the occasional solids that she isn't wild about. Anyway, we have no set schedule. She nurses a little here and there, all day long. Sometime for just a few seconds it seems, sometimes longer. Sometimes one side, and sometimes both. Is this a normal nursing pattern for a 9month old? Sometimes my milk lets down, and she drinks that and is done, even if it is only a bit, because she nurses so often. When she pulls off, I should trust her right? She never used to pull off, she loved nursing sooooo much, and she could lay there all day and nurse/sleep, etc...etc...but lately she pulls off more often. I am assuming that it is because she is more active/wants to see more etc??? Thanks so much!

Sherri

Default Re: Normal bf pattern for 9m old?

As babies get older sometimes their nursing patterns become more predictable but not necessarily following a schedule. It sounds like you are doing a great job of following her cues. It's not uncommon for a 9mo old to have only minimal interest in solids. The period between 6 and 12 months is a time for them to experiment with tastes, textures, & check for allergic reactions. While some take to solids right away, some are more like "dabblers". A baby who is susceptible to allergies may refuse solids until older. This could be a natural protective reaction. What is her weight gain like?

Mary
    p.s. I'm moving this to Infant Breastfeeding Questions for more replies.

I agree about the allergies. I know that my brother did not take to solids until well after a year and my mom reports that he was a champion nurser. He ended up with quite a few food allergies by the time he was 5 (most of which are gone with elimination diet) but the pediatrician assured my mom that those allergies would have been TONS worse if he had not nursed as much as he had in that first 1-1 1/2 years. Following your child's cues towards solids will be the best thing for them in the long run!

CJmama

Guess what, I'm very sorry to say this, are you sitting down? would you like a stiff drink? Are you able to hear some serious news right now??
    okay, it's hard for me to say this, but here goes:
    You're perfectly normal, your baby is healthy and you're doing it all right by the sounds of it.
    WELL DONE!

Trust your baby and follow her cues. She knows when she wants to eat and how much, and when she's ready for solids she'll let you know.

majikfaerie-
    my kind of sense of humor!! what would we all worry about without breastfeeding? i am such a worrier by nature and your answer cracked me up, i am going to remember it and reread it often.

my dd is also 9 months old, Sherri, and I could have written that post. Guess we qre doing the right thing! Although I still grimace when I hear the "Oh, she doesn't eat solids?" Some people even have the nerve to say "Well maybe she'd like the jarred food better???"
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

My DD is 8 mths old and recently she started to pull away while still latched on. Is ths normal? She latches and then sucks and starts to pull her head back, and the breast with her. Does anyone have any suggestions to how to prevent her from doing this. I've tried holding her so she can't pull her head abck, but she gets her arms and legs involved and literally pushes with all her might. I'm afraid it's doing a number on my supply, b/c she doesn't stay on like she usuall did.

Thanks,
    Jen

SLS--
    i could have written the same exact post for my 10.5 month bb. i'm just following her lead. i tell myself --she knows when she is hungry. i'm just letting the baby drive!

Does anyone have a 8-9 mos. old who is nursing infrequently? Just wondering . . . my daughter is just returning to the breast from a strike and has only nursed 2x today so far - so different from before the strike. before the strike her pattern was a lot like the first post. Right now she seems happy, so I'm just going with it. I'm kind of wondering, though, if she's getting enough. I had heard some babies went 4-5 hours between feeds, but I never really believed it. Perhaps it's just quirky behavior related to the recent strike. Who knows . . .
    So true, what would we worry about without breastfeeding?

Jackson is almost 10 months and only nursed 4 times today.

He had some barley and 1/2 a banana at 9am and barley and green squash at 5:30p. He nursed at 7a, 11:30a, 4p & 6:15p. He is now in bed and will likely sleep until morning except for maybe a feeding at around 10p.

He is a happy, big baby so I guess he's getting enough!