Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much longer...ready to wean

Default How much longer...ready to wean

At what age did your lo finally self wean? Because I am SOOOOOO ready!

DD is 27 months. We've had a wonderful bf experience together. We are down to one last session in the morning. To be honest, I don't think she even gets any milk. She just likes to cuddle with me, her "nite, nite", blanket and dollie (we all barely fit in the nursing chair anymore!) and latch on and off. Some mornings she does not ask to nurse, so I don't offer. But most mornings she does. If I refuse, she cries and cries. I don't want our nursing relationship to end it this way.

I am wondering how much longer will she continue with this? We have so little time together in the morning because I am always rushing to work. I rather spend the extra 5 minutes playing with her or reading a book.

Also--It is starting to feel a bit strange nursing such a large child! To think she once fit in the crook of my arm .

Default Re: How much longer...ready to wean

Dont' know how much this will help but my son is about the same age and still nursing at naptime/bedtime and when he wakes up in the morning (this typically is his longest session). I stay at home during the day with him. But sometimes when I'm wanting him to not nurse in the morning he will occassionally be diverted by something we've talked about doing/play in the morning. I know you said you were rushed for work, but maybe try to replace that time by a fun book/new fun routine instead? We're working on not nursing to sleep right now, but hopefully will try this when we get closer towards weaning. I can relate to not wanting your relationship to end with crying! It can be traumatic for both of you. Best of luck.

Anne
    Anne
    SAHM to Ethan 7/22/2005
    married to my best friend Matt since 2/12/2000

Hi, Gail! Who knew we'd still be nursing past age 2?
    I don't have any great advice, but I can relate. We are down to one feeding most days too. I thought about trying to wean her from it but she seems to be really attached to it and would definitely cry etc. I don't want to do that to her, kwim? Personally, I've made peace with continuing this one feeding until she is ready to let go of it on her own.
    I think pp had some good suggestions about offering alternative diversions. I do that sometimes too. I don't even say no, just pick her up, give her tons of hugs and kisses, and say, "Let's play dolls!" or something. It usually works if I stay upbeat and don't make it a battle.
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi Molly:

DD must have read my mind. We haven't nursed since Friday. On Saturday morning, she asked and I put her to my breast, but then she started crying "no boo boo". She hasn't asked since.

I always thought weaning was going to be traumatic for the both of us. Maya made it easy. I attributed it to her growing independence. In the last two weeks she has undergone a major transformation from baby to very independent toddler. She now constantly pushes me away and tells me "No", that she wants to do XYZ herself, whether it is putting on her shoes or reaching her cup on the table. She also now tells me to go away when she is playing with her toys. I'm not use to this from a girl that has been attached to my hip (or chest!) for the past 27 months !! It is a little disturbing! I think this surge in independence resulted in her ditching the last nursing session. That and all four of her 2 year molars are coming in at once. She has been teething like crazy--drooling, biting on everything in sight!

Wow--what a bittersweet time. I'm happy it ended this way--I really believe Maya was ready. And so was I.

How funny. Guess you were both ready at the same time. Yay! My dd went through that same independence with her molars too! She didn't get her 2 year molars until three. She also became a less picky eater once those molars were through. But the eating, the clinging and even her nursing behaviors have always yo-yo'ed. So your baby MIGHT ask again. But at this point it will be very easy to say, "How about a cookie and glass of milk instead?"