Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you still have a freezer stash?

Default do you still have a freezer stash?

For all you mammas who are (or have) BF toddlers .... do you still have a freezer stash?

If yes - How much? Why?

Is it worth having a "just in case" freezer stash (for example if I got sick and couldn't BF or pump)?

Did you end up having to throw out frozen EBM when your toddler weaned?

My DS is almost 15 mo. I'm contemplating dropping my very last pumping at work session, then using up the rest of my EBM freezer supply by sending it with DS to preschool. Once the freezer stash is all gone I'd switch DS over to another beverage at preschool. (DS is allergic to dairy so that's not an option).

I currently send ~ 6oz EBM to preschool and on a "good" day DS might drink about 3 oz. So I'm having a hard time staying motivated to continue pumping.

Also, early on I struggled with excess lipase issues so had to throw out quite alot of frozen EBM. I think I'd have a hard time going through that again, but am wondring if it would be foolish to not have a "safety net" in the freezer.

Thanks!
    Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: do you still have a freezer stash?

My lo is 13 month, and just last night I counted the ounces I have in the freezer.... I have over 60 ounces... so I'll start sending them to day care and will stop pumping at work.... It is hard to contemplate doing this... feel like the beginning of weaning (which for us it actually is... ), no? But if you don't the frozen milk could go bad....

If you have left over milk you could donate it. Here is a link on donating: http://forums.lalecheleague.org/show...light=donating

My LO is just over 1 and I do have a stash that I donate from.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Quote Originally Posted by marymud View Post
    If you have left over milk you could donate it.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

About a month or so ago I called the HMBANA breastmilk bank here in Denver (http://www.hmbana.org/index.php?mode=locations#denver) and they said they could not accept my frozen EBM because (a) DS was too old when I pumped, and (b) all of my stash has already been "processed" by scalding.

I know there are other options for donating, but I don't feel comfortable going outside the "official" breast milk bank system.
    Lynn

I stopped building a stash when I dropped my evening extra pumping session at about 12 months. I still had tons of milk in the freezer but ended up throwing it all out as it was too old (+3 months) and I don't have a deep freeze, and I was finding that frozen milk past a month old or so tasted pretty bad (probably lipase). I now have a couple of more recent 4-5oz bags in the freezer, but since I stopped pumping at work (at 18 months) I stopped producing any extra. I figure that if something happens now he'll be fine on solids and other beverages.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

olivia has just turned one year old and the freezer is empty. i have stopped pumping at work and dh used the last bag in the freezer right after i stopped pumping. he thought he would be ok putting her down for the night without a bottle ( i work 3rd shift ) and he decided that if there was milk in the house, he should give it to her.

I currently send ~ 6oz EBM to preschool and on a "good" day DS might drink about 3 oz. So I'm having a hard time staying motivated to continue pumping.

Also, early on I struggled with excess lipase issues so had to throw out quite alot of frozen EBM. I think I'd have a hard time going through that again, but am wondring if it would be foolish to not have a "safety net" in the freezer.
    Hey Lynn, we're in the same situation. I pump one time at work now and send about 6 oz. of EBM to daycare or leave home for Dad to use. He sometimes chugs it, and other days he's not interested. Also, my DS loves his dairy, he eats cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, even Maggie Moo's ice cream when Mom is being bad! I just haven't offered him cow's milk in a cup, I feel a bit foolish for it at this point honestly because he eats so many dairy products made from cow's milk. I know he still nurses after lunch for his nap right now, and that's why I'm hanging on I guess. I worry about my supply dwindling at that time, and I think it helps him go down for his nap while I'm at work to have some of momma's milk.

Now for my stash, even having thrown own 100+ some ounces when I found the lipase problem. I still have more than 600+ ounces in the deep freezer right now. It's crazy, I know. I have milk from last December still. Now any surplus I have from my once daily pump I sometimes store and sometimes it just goes down the drain. I usually pump about 10 ounces each day from one session. I have no idea what to do with all that milk. DH and I joke that if I have an aneurysm tomorrow he can still feed DS for about a year with all that milk! I could even drop my last pump (oh, the liberation!) and feed him from the freezer at daycare. Not sure what to do either, I want him to wean naturally so I plan to keep going until he drops that lunchtime/nap nurse which could be a long time.

Donation isn't an option for me either b/c we just don't fit the criteria of eligibility. The Denver bank you have to have started donating before they are 6 mos. old.

So, yes I still have a huge stash, and I'm still adding too it, but at a much slower rate.

I do like the safety net, and I'll keep it around until he's weaned, totally weaned.

I also do anticipate I will have to throw out some EBM too, I guess it's like they say in the business world "it's just a cost of doing business" and this is going to be the costs of being a working and pumping mom.
    Last edited by LunaticLibrarian; October 18th, 2007 at 09:10 AM.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I still have a small stash. Mostly from when I've been out late and DD's asleep when I get home so I just pump and freeze.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    DD's asleep when I get home
    Miss K will go to sleep without nursing? My DS doesn't fall asleep while nursing but it's a big part of our bedtime routine.
    Lynn

Well ... to answer my own question, I have come up with a reason to keep at least a small stash of EBM in the freezer. The last couple of days have been hectic and because of several emergencies I wasn't able to pump at all, so I've had to rely on my freezer stash for EBM to send to preschool with DS.

I had a moment of thinking about what I would done if the freezer stash was all gone. At 15 mo DS would probably be ok with water (or maybe soy milk) at preschool. But I'd rather not find out the hard way. I guess this means I need to stop being lazy about pumping and keep adding to my stash at least occasionally.

Lynn
    Lynn