Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't Take Bottle!

Default Won't Take Bottle!

My 4.5 month old son hates bottles. I'm using the Advent bottle and my baby just chews, chokes and screams. I don't need to use a bottle very often, but I want to start working a little, as well as go out alone 1-2 times a week ( 3-5 hours each time.) Is there a better bottle for breastfeeding babies? Should I just persist with the Advent bottle so he will learn to suck from it? I hate going out feeling stressed about this.

Default Re: Won't Take Bottle!

Mine was the same way at that age. After a while I realilzed that she didn't like frozen milk and if I only gave her fresh in the bottle she would take it. I did that for a few weeks after I went back to work and then started swapping out the fresh and frozen.

Also, I would put some of the milk right on the nipple so she could taste it right away and figure out what it was for. Have you tried using faster or slower flow nipples? That might help too.

Or you could just have a baby that doesn't like to eat when you're not around. For the first couple of weeks said she hardly took anything from the bottles I left. As she got more used to it she ate more, but still never ate as much as I think she would have if I'd been there nursing her. In a pinch, you could always have your sitter/husband try to feed the baby with a medicine dropper if you're really worried about it.

I found that the Avent nipples were very long and hard. Neither of my dd's would use them. A lot of moms are happy with the Playtex Premium Nurser. I also had success with the Dr. Browns bottles (regular, not wide-mouth nipple, didn't try those). The Dr. Browns nipples are very soft and can be used in the regular bottles you pump into without the rest of the Dr. Brown's system. I didn't worry about wide mouth vs. regular nipples. The wide mouth is supposed to be more like the breast, but since the action a baby uses to suck from an artifical nipple is completely different than baby uses with mom, I didn't think the wide mouth would make much of a difference, and it didn't.

Good luck. It just takes patience. I'm away from dd for 10 hours/day, and she still eats only about 10 oz while I'm away. She just prefers mommy. Fortunately, she pretty much sleeps through the night, so I'm not so tired.

I had the same problem with advent. The nipples are just too hard! I just bought the Evenflo Elan one piece vent aire and Jackson loves it. I bought the 0-3 months nipple so the flow would be very slow. The nipple really looks similar to a breast and has funny dimples on it to simulate the areola...

when I went back to work, little e wouldn't take breastmilk from a bottle. She was 3 months old. We bought so many different nipples (all the top names with associated expenses!) and even bought the breast bottle! Nothing worked for 6 weeks! I went and saw my pediatrician who said, "don't worry, when she is hungry enough, she will eat. " Sure enough, my last ditch effort, I bought the very simple Gerber bottles and nipples and after a few days she took the milk. She is now 8 months.

He takes my milk in a cup! I feel much better now, as I'm leaving him all day Saturday.