Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply HELP!

Default Low supply HELP!

Last night for the first time my 7 month old daughter was starving after I tried feeding her before bed. I ended up having to warm up a bottle of EBM from the freezer to satisfy her. I practically cried since that means I didn't have enough milk for her. I work 2/3 days a week for 12 hours and I pump twice during those shifts. I take about 9 Fenugreek's per day and 4 Fennel. I drink lots of water and drink nursing mom's tea when I can. I feed on demand when I'm home with her. But now what!? Help! I want to go to at least a year but I can't starve her either...what do I do?

Default Re: Low supply HELP!

I have had to warm up EBM before bed at times too. I do not think it was because I did not have milk, but instead DD was tired and would doze off on the breast then waken and remember she was hungry. She did not seem to have the patience to stay awake and nurse

Maybe this is what is happening in your situation? I usually just try to make sure I pump enough to cover that bottle or at least pump while she is getting the bottle to try to increase your supply during that time frame. Good Luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Could it be that your DD is going through a growth spurt? And like PP said, perhaps she is just too tired to empty the breast properly. But as long as her nappy output is fine I don't think you have anything to worry about! Hang in there mama!

Yes, it is certainly possible that your LO is going through a growth spurt. It is also possible that baby is teething, and wants to continue to nurse for comfort, not necessarily because she is starving. Most babies will drink a bottle even if they are not hungry.

Is there anything else going on that leads you to believe that your supply is low? How is LO's diaper output? Is she healthy, growing, and meeting developmental milestones?

Remember that breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses the more milk you will make. If your baby nurses on both sides and still seems unsatisfied, offer the first breast again. This will signal to your body to produce more milk. (Offering baby a bottle of EBM at this point actually tells your body to produce less.) Your breasts are constantly making milk and are never truly empty. You can do breast compressions to maximize your dd's milk intake.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Remember that supply can go down at night. I have a lot more milk in the morning, a good amount during the day and far less at night. At least I pump less. I have no idea what the baby is getting...

Quote Originally Posted by NursingNurse View Post
    Last night for the first time my 7 month old daughter was starving after I tried feeding her before bed. I ended up having to warm up a bottle of EBM from the freezer to satisfy her. I practically cried since that means I didn't have enough milk for her. I work 2/3 days a week for 12 hours and I pump twice during those shifts. I take about 9 Fenugreek's per day and 4 Fennel. I drink lots of water and drink nursing mom's tea when I can. I feed on demand when I'm home with her. But now what!? Help! I want to go to at least a year but I can't starve her either...what do I do?

i think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned she hadn't had her usual 5pm bottle... so she was probably twice as hungry. i think you've got enough milk, jack... she just missed a bottle earlier and was extra hungry... you're doing great!!

Quote Originally Posted by emama View Post
    Remember that supply can go down at night. I have a lot more milk in the morning, a good amount during the day and far less at night. At least I pump less. I have no idea what the baby is getting...
    Just thought I should clarify...

It is relatively normal to see a slight dip in milk supply during the evening hours. This time of day can be pretty stressful for families--dinner prep, catching up with each other, tired bodies, etc. It is also a time of day when babies tend to be more needy. They are tired, too, and want to reconnect with mommy if she has been away at work all day. Many babies seem to "nurse all the time" in the evening hours. This is not necessarily an indication that milk supply is low. If baby is nursing a lot, it would make sense that you would be pumping less.

On the other hand, nighttime (as in, while mommy and baby are sleeping) is one of the best times for milk production. Prolactin--milk-making hormone--levels are highest at night. This is why many women, especially those who are concerned about their milk supplies, bring their babies to bed with them to nurse at night while they sleep. It boosts overall milk supply, and can dramatically reduce baby's dependence upon pumped milk if seperated from mom during the day. It is also a great way for mother and baby to reconnect after a long and busy day.

Hope that clarifies things a bit,

Tiana