Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unexpectedly sad

Unhappy unexpectedly sad

Over the last few weeks, my 17 month old son has not been falling asleep during the last nursing session we've been hanging on to; i.e. the one right before bed. Last night, after he finished nursing, he turned around and started trying to watch "clueless" with me!

I've been wanting to wean for awhile (go back on the pill, take some medications I can't take while I'm nursing), and I knew the end was in sight, but I took his wakefulness as a sign to get moving.

So I rocked him to sleep tonight and put him to bed and he didn't cry at all. He didn't ask to nurse either.

What I didn't expect was how sad I would feel about what is likely the end of our nursing journey. As I rocked him to sleep, I thought about our first days home from the hospital and how hard it was to get the whole nursing business going! About how we quickly got good at it and have kept it up for all of these 17 months. We've gone farther than I ever expected we would.

I still feel so sad, though.
    melancholy
    I know you all will understand.

Default Re: unexpectedly sad

Hi,

Big hugs to you! I bet I'll feel the same way when that time comes to our house. Some days I want to be done and some days I can't imagine it. Looking at the little baby stuff and thinking about those days makes me a little sad they are gone. Great job nursing for 17 months!!

I'm sure I would feel the same way too!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

My lo and I are going through the same thing.... It is much harder on me than I though. Big hugs to you