Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stress at work and afraid my milk has decreased

Unhappy Stress at work and afraid my milk has decreased

Hi again. I am so grateful for this resource! They used to call me "Bessie" at work because I was pumping 3-4 bags of bm a day! I've been back to work for 2 1/2 months now and until about 2 weeks ago, things were going great. I have noticed a dip in my milk production. I no longer have to pump excess milk in the morning or at night (I feed her both times before work and after work). I pump at 11am and 3pm at work. When I feed her at 7:30pm, I notice that she is still hungry after eating on both sides. I know this because I offered her the bottle (of my milk) after feeding her from me, and she drank 3 more ounces. I have started running for exercise and work has been stressful, so I think this might be contributing. If I increase my water intake and eat oatmeal for breakfast will this eventually help? I'm very emotional about it because I want her to continue to eat from me until she is 1 year old....that's 7 months away and I'm afraid this might be the end! Please help me...I have quite a big of frozen bm, but I love the bonding time of feeding her and am not ready to stop yet.

Default Re: Stress at work and afraid my milk has decreased

Hello there! It sounds like you're doing great so far. Here are a couple of questions for you:

How many wet/dirty diapers does baby have every day?
    Does she seem satisfied after most feedings? ( If she still wants to nurse, it could just be a need to be close to you- or even possibly the beginning of teething. )

With regards to exercising, as with everything else do it in moderation. I've heard different things about exercise and BF. Some seem to think it can hurt milk production, others believe it helps. You can also try eating more oatmeal too. However I would recommend trying some fenugreek or Mother's Milk tea. Not only do these teas have beneficial herbs that can boost production, but you will also be getting more fluids that way.

Pumping is never a good indicator of how much milk you make, and it is very possible at this stage that your supply is regulating itself to your baby's needs.

Try not to worry too much And try to minimize stress in your life. Your daughter needs you right now, and you need her too. Don't overdo it

Default Re: Stress at work and afraid my milk has decreased

Thanks for your quick reply! She has 1 dirty diaper about every 1-2 days and about 4-5 wets a day. She does seem satisfied after most feedings. I have heard about your body regulating to what she needs. I was just concerned because before, if I didn't pump in time, I had engorgement and leaky breasts. I miss that feeling, because it made me feel like I had plenty for her. Now I feel unsure. I'll try the fenugreek I think...I've seen a lot of people talk about it. I have the Mother's Milk tea, so I'll start drinking it again too. Thank you for all your help. Let me know if you have further help/suggestions.