Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastmilk / Formula question

Default Re: Breastmilk / Formula question

Quote Originally Posted by jfarrellrn View Post
    I have ZERO time to pump and I'd like a little break and perhaps let my husband feed her a couple times @ night so I can have a little time to myslef.
    You're finding it hard to find the time to express milk for your baby. Some mothers find that pumping on one side while baby nurses on the other is a good solution. Some mothers find that pumping before or after the first morning feed yeilds good results. Other mothers prefer hand expression as there is very little equipment needed, and it's easy for them to express a little after several feeds over the course of the day. Do any of those ideas seem like they might be helpful to you?

As it is now, with the breastmilk, it's not a problem much with the gas and constipation. This baby is very colicky as it is and I don't want to make things worse.
    Can you tell us a bit about your baby's behavior and symptoms?

Thanks ladies, wife is reading this when she has some time so post away.
    Great!

I've signed her up on 2 other forums which we're no longer members of. Seems there are some very power hungry moderators out there that feel enlightened about the ability to exert control over others and delete peoples posts. I'm starting to find that some of you ladies take this BF very seriously, while some seem to take it to an extremist level.
    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that you experienced that!

We're just trying to figure out a way to give mom a break. This kid is relentless with the feeding.
    Could your wife please tell us a bit more about baby's nursing pattern?

What are her breastfeeding goals? In a perfect world, what would she like to see happen?

Thanks DAD (Kevin)
    You're most welcome!

You and your wife have a lovely daughter. Thanks for sharing the photo!

Hi Kevin! I love it when daddies post here

In addition to the frequent feedings, is she having any trouble with nipple pain or damage? How long do feedings last?

Jen

PS Your baby is absolutely beautiful! You may not be aware that this is a public forum so her picture (and full name) are visible to anyone who happens to stumble upon our website, whether they are registered here or not. You might consider editing so that your personal information isn't so public Hugs!
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen
    PS Your baby is absolutely beautiful! You may not be aware that this is a public forum so her picture (and full name) are visible to anyone who happens to stumble upon our website, whether they are registered here or not. You might consider editing so that your personal information isn't so public
    Kevin, I hope you'll pardon me as I am taking a bold step here. Since we value your family's privacy, I am going to edit out your link for now. If you wish for the photo to be returned, you will (of course) have that opportunity.

No worries, this is not a step we take lightly! We'll not make a habit of editing your posts unaware. We just want to assure that you and your wife feel comfortable and safe posting here, and part of that includes protecting your personal info to the best of our abilities.

Thank you for your understanding!

I have ZERO time to pump and I'd like a little break and perhaps let my husband feed her a couple times @ night so I can have a little time to myslef.
    Would you be interested in some information/suggestions on how you could pump when you're feeding frequently?

So, I bought the organic...formula. I'm assuming this perhaps has less garbage in it than the other stuff that was thrown out.
    The difference is in the source for the main ingredients, as well as the type of sugars and oils. A quick search online can show you a comparison of the ingredients between organic and not.

Keep in mind that in the USA, all artificial baby milks are required to contain certain ingredients and certain levels of those ingredients. Aside from the base ingredients, artificial baby milks are all pretty much equal.

I'm just feeling a bit guilty.
    What has you feeling guilty? In your mind, what would be the perfect outcome?

My concern is that my sister used formula after 1 month, probably not organic. Her daughter got constipated and gas like crazy. As it is now, with the breastmilk, it's not a problem much with the gas and constipation. This baby is very colicky as it is and I don't want to make things worse.
    To be completely honest, I'm not sure if the milk being organic would help in that department, considering that the basic ingredients are the same. For some babies, artificial baby milk simply is constipating (probably due to the fact that it takes longer to digest). There is no way to know in advance if abm would constipate your baby or not.

I know that others have asked you questions about your baby's colicky symptoms, and I'll be awaiting your reply along with them. We're here to help!

Does anybody have any experience with organic formula and if it causes problems with gas and the like.
    I personally do not have any experience to share, but it stands to reason that the organic version wouldn't be much (if any) different than regular milk-based artificial baby milks since the base ingredient is still the same.

My husband is totally against milk. Since he's stopped milk, he has no sinus problems and gets sick no more. So even with the organic milk powder I'm just a bit concerned.
    Due to your dh's experience, you're concerned about feeding a milk-based product. Is that correct?

I ask my husband about this and he's very adamant against milk "cows milk is for cows, cats milk is for cats, humans milk is for humans"
    Smart man!

It sure sounds like he is very supportive of your breastfeeding. That's refreshing to hear!

I'm the last one that wants baby on ABBOTT LABS GARBAGE.

Right on!

We're just trying to figure out a way to give mom a break. This kid is relentless with the feeding.
    We're happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    Above all, know that it does get easier for most mothers. The newborn nursing phase is very time intensive. They don't nurse like newborns forever. Things settle down, feedings space out a bit, mom and baby figure out what they are doing! You may find that you can get through this phase without introducing formula at all!
    This is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by malleyboo View Post
    I use ready to feed...infant formula--the first time I gave it to him it was full strength but it was too hard on his tummy--he spit up all that he had taken in-it was like the exorcist . I then decided to give him 2-3 oz's and dilute with water the remainder and that has worked out fine.
    Please be aware that it is dangerous to dilute artifical baby milk (or make it stronger than the package directions, for that matter). It is recommended that artificial baby milks only be diluted (or concentrated) under the guidance of a medical professional.
    More info:
    http://www.ismp.org/consumers/Formula.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    I can understand wanting a break, it can be hard with a newborn feeding around the clock. Have you tried anything like having baby in the sling during the day so she can nurse while you shop, clean and run errands?

I do not have much to add to what the other posters have said except to say, it does get easier! The first 6-8 weeks were the hardest for me. Things started gradually getting a lot easier. Your lo will start spacing her feedings out. Hang in there and keep up the good work!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    Kevin, I hope you'll pardon me as I am taking a bold step here. Since we value your family's privacy, I am going to edit out your link for now. If you wish for the photo to be returned, you will (of course) have that opportunity.

No worries, this is not a step we take lightly! We'll not make a habit of editing your posts unaware. We just want to assure that you and your wife feel comfortable and safe posting here, and part of that includes protecting your personal info to the best of our abilities.

Thank you for your understanding!
    Meh, I'm not worried. Not paranoid like most folks. Anybody messes with anyone of us, I'll make an example out of them that will be written in textbooks for the next 100 years. I don't worry about anything. I'm not the type that worries about anything on this planet or after. God takes care of all my worries and I'm not kidding. Well there is a world full of info here wife and I will have to go through. Thanks for the help
    Last edited by jfarrellrn; October 17th, 2007 at 05:31 PM.

Meh, I'm not worried. Not paranoid like most folks. Anybody messes with anyone of us, I'll make an example out of them that will be written in textbooks for the next 100 years. I don't worry about anything. I'm not the type that worries about anything on this planet or after. God takes care of all my worries and I'm not kidding. Well there is a world full of info here wife and I will have to go through. Thanks for the help
    You're welcome!

Feel free to edit your post and add your photo back. We just like to assure that our posters realize that the information is viewable by non-registered users. Some people are uncomfortable with that idea, others welcome it. Thank you for understanding!

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I don't really think formula is "garbage" per se. Some mothers and babies need it when they cannot breastfeed. Some of y'all act like it's an equivalent to feeding the baby battery acid or something (no one specifically). I know that it's not as good as breast milk, but it is sometimes necessary. I had to stop BFing exclusively around 4 weeks because of work, constant plugged ducts, oversupply and overactive letdown. I was pretty miserable and cried every day. With my job, I could not leak milk everywhere and deal with the fevers that would accompany my plugged ducts. I was like a constant faucet, and my baby would often not get enough hindmilk. Now I pump 4 -5 times per day to make part of a bottle but mostly I feed her formula.
    I tried the organic Similac at first because it had a few organic ingredients (sugar mostly) and found that it made my baby REALLY constipated. By that I mean, it looked like she was giving birth and cried like it too. Then because of WIC, we started getting Enfamil Lipil (which has DHA in it and NO sugar - just lactose) and we also give her an extra ounce of water each morning with her formula/expressed breast milk bottle. She has no problems with spitting up or constipation anymore and even has some healthy breast milk poos several times a week. I think the breast milk goes a long way with relieving constipation. I don't know much about colic - sorry I can't help there.

Also I want to say that I KNOW you are exhausted and worn out and it is very draining to BF a newborn, but please reconsider giving her formula unless it is absolutely necessary. Even though I've considered every option, the guilt plagues me every day but there is no possible way to BF her/pump all day every day as she needs it. It's a constant battle to keep my supply up and I know she misses it sometimes. If you have the ability to BF her exclusively DO IT. That's my honest advice.

Thanks, I know that countless babies, myself, my 10 year old daughter with my X-gf were formula fed. I just have become more aware of ingredients in stuff and have often googled ingredients such as silicon dioxide and found out that it's not happy stuff. Not that silicon dioxide is in formula, I don't know. I just can't believe all the ingredients in it that I can't even recognize.

So I'm not totally anti-formula. Now I'm wondering this. Did you have trouble with the Organic Brand I spoke of? Are you saying you had better luck with the brand you recommend? Finally you said you mix the formula with the breasmilk? Is that correct? If so, what would you say the ratio is?

Sorry for so many questions, trying to help out the wife with the best decision for us. I'd like to see her mostly breasmilk with perhaps some formula time to time. I just fail to see why they have to put so much stuff in it and it is somewhat bothersome when I've researched ingredients in the past and found out that a lot of lab test with rats and these unfamiliar ingredients do not yeild a happy ending. I realize we're not rats and more tollerant, I just think there is a lot of deception out there and things are thrown in our food without realizing the full extent of long term toxicity of the body taking in these chemicals.

God made food for us all to eat and when man tries to mimic what God has created, it's usually a failure I think. Now I don't want you to think I'm one of these religious freaks either, I've just come to learn how I have become feeling much better with a primarily organic veg diet with little meat and processed garbage. I have grown up with bronchitis and sinus problems about 10 infections per year. I stop dairy and cows antibiotic milk and all my previous problems are gone. Have not been sick in 5 years.

Kevin