Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breastmilk / Formula question

Default Re: Breastmilk / Formula question

One thing I haven't seen mentioned (forgive me if I somehow missed it) is that if your wife replaces too many feedings with formula without pumping she could possibly put her supply at risk. Her body produces on demand so if the demand isn't there on a regular basis her body will decrease its production accordingly. Once in a while for a break shouldn't be a problem though.

As for types of formula, if you really want to go that route (rather than expressed breast milk) you may find you have to try different brands and types before you find one your baby will tolerate. My son never accepted the ready made types, only powdered and only Similac advance. I actually did EBM in bottles most of the time 'till he was past 6 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    Your wife posted somewhere about getting 5-6 oz per pumping session. I am confused why she would need formula? That is an awesome amount per session

Yeah, but picture a kid that eats, then 20 minutes later starts screaming again to eat. When does she have time to pump? It is getting better. She slept from 12-6am last night. I just see what my wife goes thought and I feel like a lazy prick. I can't even play my guitar or do anything as I'm riddled with guilt. But the kid is constantly on the boob, so there's not much I can do but run laundry up and down the stairs and house work.

Goal? The goal would be for the kid to eat 3x a day like us, LOL. Lofty goal eh? It's getting better honestly. But when she's burnt out, she's contemplating formula. I'd like to see her BF as long as possible and have little to no formula as I feel it's going to cause digestive problems. Milk and dairy wreaked havoc on my body for years till I smartened up. I don't want to assume she's going to be like me, but to me, cows milk is garbage. In Kenya, they eat mostly meat. No dairy. They have no osteoporosis over there. Here we drink milk and eat dairy and you know the rest. Milk is crap, and I'd rather see baby drink milk that was intended for her. Not powdered cow garbage.

But the reality is she's going to be on it eventually. I'd just like to prolong it as much as possible.

Thanks for all the info ladies.

Kevin

Mama don't give up on BFing, don't start down the formula road. We've all been there, tired, just wanting a break. But it gets better, easier... it really, really does. In the scheme of things, in the course of your and your baby's life this is a short period of time, it will be gone before you know it. Try to savor it. You ARE doing the BEST, HEALTHIEST thing for your baby. You can do it! We're all pulling for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    I'd think something else is going on. If she can pump 5-6 oz there is no way a baby would be hungry 20 mins after a good feed.

3 time a day? That will be a while. She did say she pumped at work, so I assumed the baby was already on bottles of expressed milk.

I must admit it's confusing having so many different stories about.

You may also want to change the tone in your posts and not swear, this is suppose to be a family friendly environment

Well the 20 minutes doesn't happen all the time, the kid does eat a lot. At least at night when I'm home she'll eat 20 minutes, then I'll play with her and 20 minutes later she's screaming and back on. As for work, she's doesn't work, don't know where that came from. She's starting to pump more and more. It is getting better I think. I also think the kid is comforted by sucking on the nipple and isn't always getting milk. So I think if she's on for 15 minutes things are probably dried up and the rest of the time she's just hanging out. I'm thinking of trying to get her off after 15 min and putting the passifier in and see what happens.

As for the swearing, are there kids on the forum reading about breastfeeding?

Just kidding, I'm trying myself to consciously swear less.

Kevin

Also the only reason we're contemplating formula is so I can help too. She's pumping more as I mentioned, but it's tough as you know to feed then pump. She's losing weight it seems as she doesn't have much time to even make herself food. Damn selfish kid, LOL

Just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by jfarrellrn View Post
    Finally you said you mix the formula with the breasmilk? Is that correct? If so, what would you say the ratio is?
    If breastmilk is available, the LLL Health Advisory Council recommends feeding the breastmilk first, then using formula to make up the difference so that breastmilk isn't wasted if baby doesn't finish the bottle or refuses the bottle. Does that make sense?

Yeah, but picture a kid that eats, then 20 minutes later starts screaming again to eat. When does she have time to pump?
    Could you tell us a bit more about your baby's nursing pattern? About how many times is baby nursing per day? Is she gaining weight? Growing? Having plenty of wet and poopy diapers?

It is getting better. She slept from 12-6am last night.
    That's a full night and more for a newborn!

I just see what my wife goes thought and I feel like a lazy.... I can't even play my guitar or do anything as I'm riddled with guilt. But the kid is constantly on the boob, so there's not much I can do but run laundry up and down the stairs and house work.

There is so much you can do! Some ideas that come to mind are change diapers, give baby a bath, fix mom a meal, prepare mom some one-handed snacks for the next day, run errands, or maybe even buy mom a baby carrier so that she can do more while keeping baby close.

Here's some more info:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/dad.html

Goal? The goal would be for the kid to eat 3x a day like us, LOL. Lofty goal eh?
    Yes, I think so. Even a fully formula fed baby eats at least 6 times per day. It will be a good long while before your baby is able to eat that infrequently.

When I asked about goals, I was meaning was your wife's goal to nurse exclusively? Nurse exclusively for "x" months? Nurse for a full year? Beyond? By knowing what her goals are, we can offer better suggestions.

It's getting better honestly. But when she's burnt out, she's contemplating formula. I'd like to see her BF as long as possible and have little to no formula as I feel it's going to cause digestive problems...and I'd rather see baby drink milk that was intended for her.
    When you say your wife is burnt out, what is putting the most strain on her? Is it the frequency of the feeding? Is she feeling tied down? What do you think could help your wife feel better?

But the reality is she's going to be on it eventually. I'd just like to prolong it as much as possible.
    Why makes you feel that way, Kevin?

Well the 20 minutes doesn't happen all the time, the kid does eat a lot. At least at night when I'm home she'll eat 20 minutes, then I'll play with her and 20 minutes later she's screaming and back on.
    If this happens in the evenings a lot, it could be that your baby is cluster feeding. Here's some info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html (non-LLL resource)

She's starting to pump more and more. It is getting better I think.
    That's great to hear!

I also think the kid is comforted by sucking on the nipple and isn't always getting milk. So I think if she's on for 15 minutes things are probably dried up and the rest of the time she's just hanging out. I'm thinking of trying to get her off after 15 min and putting the passifier in and see what happens.
    As long as baby is nursing, she is getting something. The breast is never truly empty. If you would like a more scientific explanation, please let me know!

Comfort nursing is both common and normal. This resource explains what it is, why it's important, and ways to cope with it or change the nursing pattern:
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html (non-LLL resource)

Also the only reason we're contemplating formula is so I can help too. She's pumping more as I mentioned, but it's tough as you know to feed then pump.
    We do know.

What type of pump does your wife have? How would she feel about getting baby comfortably latched, and then pumping on the other side? Or pumping during during or after the first morning feed? Perhaps she might even be interested in hand expression? There are so many things that can make pumping faster, easier, and more effective. Just let us know if we can help!

She's losing weight it seems as she doesn't have much time to even make herself food.
    It can be really helpful to have lots of ready to eat foods on hand. Some ideas might be:

*bananas, apples, blueberries (basicly any easy to eat fruit)
    *sandwiches on whole grain bread
    *wrap sandwiches
    * raw veggies and dip
    * pita and hummus
    * nuts
    * whole grain crackers and a spread or cheese
    * soup (she can warm and eat while baby is napping)
    * salads
    * pasta
    * granola bars
    * oatmeal cookies
    * smoothies
    * cereal

How would you feel about fixing her foods to have on hand, so she can just grab something from the fridge and go! Maybe even bring home takeout sometime? Fix supper when you get home? Start the crockpot before heading to work? Hold your baby while she fixes supper?

Many mothers find that having some nuts, granola bars, fruit, water, ect right at their favorite nursing spot is really helpful. If it's easy to eat, a mother may be more likely to eat a snack while baby is nursing.

Well the 20 minutes doesn't happen all the time, the kid does eat a lot. At least at night when I'm home she'll eat 20 minutes, then I'll play with her and 20 minutes later she's screaming and back on. As for work, she's doesn't work, don't know where that came from. She's starting to pump more and more. It is getting better I think. I also think the kid is comforted by sucking on the nipple and isn't always getting milk. So I think if she's on for 15 minutes things are probably dried up and the rest of the time she's just hanging out. I'm thinking of trying to get her off after 15 min and putting the passifier in and see what happens.

As for the swearing, are there kids on the forum reading about breastfeeding?

Just kidding, I'm trying myself to consciously swear less.

Kevin
    Is it possible that she is mistaking her cry for something else? Maybe she is over stimulated or something if you had just been playing with her, maybe she is bored etc. I would try different things maybe rocking etc or changing what she is doing to see if that help and then if not feed her. My youngest did this too and honestly it does pass. I never did formula because I honestly agree with you, God made boobs for a reason and even though I would get tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed I knew that this was not forever. Now he is 9 months old almost and doing great. I would just keep being supportive. Your baby doesn't have to have formula!!! Both my kids have been formula free.

So I'm not totally anti-formula. Now I'm wondering this. Did you have trouble with the Organic Brand I spoke of? Are you saying you had better luck with the brand you recommend? Finally you said you mix the formula with the breasmilk? Is that correct? If so, what would you say the ratio is?
    Hi Kevin,

I just want to firstly say it's really great that you are so supportive of your wife and really taking action on trying to help her breast feed.
    To answer your questions, I had issues with the Organic Similac and the Enfamil seems to work better for us. But your baby might be different. Some spit up more than others and some have no problems with constipation like ours did. They also make formulas that are soy based if you are worried about putting her on a milk-based supplement but I am under the impression that you should talk to a doctor or lactation consultant or something before doing this (?).
    When we mix breast milk with Kembra's formula, we do it because I can only pump 1 oz. a day right now. I'll make her 2 - 4 oz of formula depending on how hungry she is (she eats a lot more in the morning) and then dump the expressed milk from the previous day into that. So there is no danger of her not finishing it. The real issue with mixing EBM with formula is that formula should be thrown away after 1 hour of being un-refrigerated and breast milk can sit out for about 5 hours without spoiling. So if you have to throw out the formula, you can lose the breast milk too. That's the main reason. Also some people say that their babies don't react well to the mix and it gives them gas but we haven't found a problem with that at all.

Please encourage your wife! It is very demanding for some new mothers to Bf their babies. I am posting, because before coming across your post today, I was just having a conversation with my husband about the fact that our first daughter is 5 months old and has never had a bottle! Before I gave birth, I knew I wanted to BF, but figured I would definately pump most of the time, allowing me some free time. I even went out and bought an expensive pumping system... I have never used it! I just find it SO convenient to just be able to feed her with no strings attached, but it took a while to get to this comfort level!

I guess my point is, it takes a while to get into the groove of BF. It gets easier and easier, until you don't even think about it. Pretty soon, LOs need for hourly feedings will decreae, and the sore nipples and such will fade away! My LO nurses 1 time every 3-4 hours during the day, though more at night! If you can just support your wife...which you're doing great at, she'll be fine! Co-sleeping has helped me tremendously. When LO wakes, I just "put her on" and I can even keep sleeping. This also encourages her to sleep longer since she feels more security being close to me.I am not sure if she works or stays home, but baby wearing is a;so a method that fress up mom and the LOs love it! Pumping is also good if your wife really needs a break!