Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastmilk / Formula question

Default Breastmilk / Formula question

Hello, I have been breasfeeding for 1 month now with our newborn. She is eating every hour and I thought about introducing formula. My husband threw out the original similac powder I got for free in the mail.

He saw the 9000 chemicals in it and threw a fit. He can't stand doctors and pharmacutical companies. So that was a month ago. Now today I thought about introducing a little formula a little at a time. I have ZERO time to pump and I'd like a little break and perhaps let my husband feed her a couple times @ night so I can have a little time to myslef.

So, I bought the organic similac formula. I'm assuming this perhaps has less garbage in it than the other stuff that was thrown out. I'm just feeling a bit guilty. I asked my husband about it and he put me on a guilt trip about antibodies and nutrients and the like, but agreed that perhaps a couple bottles a day wouldn't hurt.

My concern is that my sister used formula after 1 month, probably not organic. Her daughter got constipated and gas like crazy. As it is now, with the breastmilk, it's not a problem much with the gas and constipation. This baby is very colicky as it is and I don't want to make things worse.

Does anybody have any experience with organic formula and if it causes problems with gas and the like. My husband is totally against milk. Since he's stopped milk, he has no sinus problems and gets sick no more. So even with the organic milk powder I'm just a bit concerned. I ask my husband about this and he's very adamant against milk "cows milk is for cows, cats milk is for cats, humans milk is for humans" LOL

Any advice / help is appreciated.

Jen

Default Re: Breastmilk / Formula question

Hi there

La Leche League is here to provide breastfeeding support, so we aren't able to provide you with information about formula. However, perhaps we can help you with some of your breastfeeding concerns to make the relationship more enjoyable for you and your baby?

It sounds as if you are frustrated because your baby is nursing every hour. It's pretty common for one month old babies to nurse very frequently. Breastmilk digests in about 90 minutes, so they need to be eating often! Many mothers find that their babies space out feedings a bit as they get older. Babies this age often go through growth spurts, and this can be another reason she might be nursing so frequently.

You mention that you'd like to give her bottles at night. Is this because you are tired and wanting more sleep? Would you consider taking your baby to bed with you? This is helpful to a lot of mothers because they can breastfeed and stay in bed during the night. Many learn to sleep through feedings and find they feel much more rested. Here is an article on safe co-sleeping: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/cosleep.html

It seems as if your DH is very supportive of you and eager for you to maintain your nursing relationship. Daddies don't breastfeed, but they can do lots of other things with baby--change diapers, bathe, sing, rock, play. Perhaps your husband can take the baby after you've fed her so you can have some time to read or take a hot bath or check email.

Above all, know that it does get easier for most mothers. The newborn nursing phase is very time intensive. They don't nurse like newborns forever. Things settle down, feedings space out a bit, mom and baby figure out what they are doing! You may find that you can get through this phase without introducing formula at all!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hello, I nursed my first son exclusively but my 2nd I had to introduce formula because I had mastitis twice in one month and it was very painful and my little one has had latching difficulties from day one. My little one has also had very smelly gas from day one before I even thought about introducing formula. I use ready to feed Similac Advance infant formula--the first time I gave it to him it was full strength but it was too hard on his tummy--he spit up all that he had taken in-it was like the exorcist . I then decided to give him 2-3 oz's and dilute with water the remainder and that has worked out fine. I do still nurse but because of the continued difficulties with latching I still supplement with the formula. I keep praying to nurse exclusively but again his latch is a hit or miss deal one day it's perfect and the very next feeding it's not.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about if you give him the organic or regular formula--it's really going to depend on your little one and as long as you are still nursing your baby will still get all the benefits and antibodies.

Keep up the GOOD work!!!!!!!
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

I also meant to add check with your pediatrician as well and the information that LLL LactoJen provided is good too. My first son also nursed every hour and he co-slept with my husband and I and it was great. I would nurse laying down and go to sleep--it was wonderful.
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear

I just wanted to ask about your baby having colicy moments. Is it all day long? is it just during certain times of the day??
    This link is about fussy evenings/cluster feedings in young babies/newborns.
    It is very helpful in explaining what happens and how to deal.
    My son was very fussy in the early months at night. He would cry and fuss for over an hour, and then suddenly at three months he didnt do it any more. I think it is another one of those things that we learn to deal with in those early months. I know its tough momma, but hang in there!!! It will pass, and it really does get better and easier as they get older. Pretty soon you will not remember when yoru baby was so fussy.
    Good luck, and take care!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks ladies, wife is reading this when she has some time so post away. I've signed her up on 2 other forums which we're no longer members of. Seems there are some very power hungry moderators out there that feel enlightened about the ability to exert control over others and delete peoples posts. I'm starting to find that some of you ladies take this BF very seriously, while some seem to take it to an extremist level. I'm the last one that wants baby on ABBOTT LABS GARBAGE. We're just trying to figure out a way to give mom a break. This kid is relentless with the feeding.

Thanks DAD (Kevin)

***image temporarily removed***
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; October 16th, 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Removed image to protect family's privacy

duplicate sorry

If mom needs a break...can she pump and then have a bottle of breastmilk for you to give at night? I never gave formula to my son, but occasionally I would pump and leave the bottle on the bedside table and when my son woke up, daddy would feed him the bottle. Just a suggestion. We didn't do it often, but every once in a while was nice.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

[QUOTE=jfarrellrn;318622]Thanks ladies, wife is reading this when she has some time so post away. I've signed her up on 2 other forums which we're no longer members of. Seems there are some very power hungry moderators out there that feel enlightened about the ability to exert control over others and delete peoples posts. Thanks DAD (Kevin)

I hate that you have been on other forums that want to dictate but another site that I found helpful is PumpMoms http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PumpMoms/ hopefully this was not one of the sites you had a problem with--give it a try if you want to try another positive site in addition to this one. You do have to register and provide a introduction but it doesn't take long and it is a cool site. I keep both sites running in two windows and just refresh periodically when I am away for a while.

Bye the Bye--she's a keeper!!!!!!!

I would do what LactoJen and Mummy suggested, definately try a sling, cosleeping or another thing I would do was nurse hand baby off to dad sometimes the baby would be content if he couldn't see me. So I would then go take a nice long shower or spend one on one time with my oldest that kind of thing. If you visit kelly mom it has some good advice about colic. Formula can actually make colic worse. My youngest had colic symptoms but they went away around 2 months or so. I never supplemented because I felt the same way your wife does...quilt. I would try sticking it out and setting mini goals. Like make it to 6 weeks, then 2 months etc. If she could find time to pump that would give her a bit of a break but I wouldn't give a bottle until after 6 weeks because of nipple confusion, after that there are some moms that will have dad do 1 feeding a day and others that do it on occasion. I wouldn't do it for several feeds a day as the baby could get more used to the bottle then the breast. Another thing is since so much of moms time is going to the little one is it possible to get help with house chores so that she doesn't feel bad not getting to those until things get easier? Oh and if she is having trouble pumping because the baby is eating or fussing, I know this sounds odd but I used to feed off one side then when baby was totally done with that side I would switch and pump the side he nursed on while he was feeding the other side. That way I was multitasking. I would also pump with baby is swing or bouncy or she could do it in a sling that way baby was still being "help". Have her check out the baby wearing section....that is really helpful. I appologize if I am rambling and I hope I have helped some.

You sound like a very supportive husband and you baby is adorable!!!