Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: losing supply?

Default losing supply?

At what stage can I relax about losing supply? Some days things seem good and then just when I start enjoying BF I have a day where he eats and eats and seems hungry all day. I feel very soft and don't have the usualy letdown. Normally I would think he was having a growth spurt but he's 8 wks and I thot there wasn't supposed to be another growth spurt until 3 months? I never knew BF was so HARD & Stressful!! On days like this I just want to give up!

Default Re: losing supply?

This is from Kellymom.com

Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). Babies don't read calendars, however, so your baby may do things differently.
    I'm thinking it is a growth spurt that you are experiencing. As long as he is having enough wet diapers each day then I think you are fine concerning your supply.

don't give up. I have days like that too. and I thought I was losing my bmilk too. I even came close to just giving him formula cause I thought he wasn't getting enouph and my breasts always felt empty. but my mother in law said "try drinking more water" and she was right! I have to make a consious effort to drink at least 10 8oz bottles of water a day to keep up my supply, since then I haven't had a problem.
    I also had to quit taking birth control because I came real close to losing my supply. also I read the hormones in most types of birth control get into your milk and the effects on baby aren't known. so I'm glad I quit taking it anyway.
    I'm rambling anyway, drink lots and lots of water and you'll be fine with your supply it's rare that a women just loses her supply for no reason.
    hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by mommyturtle View Post
    I feel very soft and don't have the usualy letdown. On days like this I just want to give up!
    This is a great link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html from KellyMom regarding soft breasts which has nothing to do with decreased supply. This link addresses the letdown reflex http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html and finally this link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html addresses growth spurts. Keep doing what you are doing and stay encouraged--heck if I can get through two boughts of mastitis in one month and the pain of continued latching difficulties with son number 2 you can soak up the encouragement and not give up. Seriously though do what is BEST for you.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

I've been feeling discouragement in bfing too...some days, it feels like I'm beginning to get it together! Other days, like today for instance, it seems I'm not doing anything right!

I just keep coming back here to the forum, so I can get encouragement and guidance.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Thanks all for the encouragement! I swear I would've given up if it wasn't for this forum!!

Especially thanks for the websites malleyboo! It was very reassuring!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommyturtle View Post
    Thanks all for the encouragement! I swear I would've given up if it wasn't for this forum!!

Especially thanks for the websites malleyboo! It was very reassuring!!
    You are most welcomed--Heck a lot of the time I'm absorbing this information for myself as well. It's just good to know that others share the same experiences!
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.