Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not interested too much...

Question Not interested too much...

Hi,

My 1 yo boy is a big food eater and doesn't seem too interested in nursing anymore. Should I wean? I really like that nursing calms him down and it helps him fall asleep. He uses his pacifier alot during the day and night. I'm not sure what to do. I just recently stopped pumping my milk so during the day my husband gives him cow's milk and he hardly drinks any. He sips on it but maybe gets only 3-4 oz all day. When I'm home he nurses about 4x or so. What should I do..any suggestions?

Default Re: Not interested too much...

Do you want to wean? If you are happy with the way things are going, then why change, kwim? Even just nursing a couple of times a day is giving you LO immunological and nutritional benefits. Considering we are coming up on cold/flu season and that toddler eating habits can be very unpredictable, if it were me I'd keep going and see where it leads us. Good luck!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Another question about my son...is it wrong for him to only drink 3-4 oz of cow's milk during the day. Shouldn't he be drinking more? He only nurses when I get home from work 2-3x.

Quote Originally Posted by MNDeleon1 View Post
    My 1 yo boy is a big food eater and doesn't seem too interested in nursing anymore. Should I wean? Another question about my son...is it wrong for him to only drink 3-4 oz of cow's milk during the day. Shouldn't he be drinking more? He only nurses when I get home from work 2-3x.
    I think you are fine and as FluffyN says if there's not problem stay as you are. Remember though as your little one gets older and starts eating table food it's a given that he will nurse less and less. With my first son I nursed exlcusively and I didn't have to wean him because he weaned himself. I kept nursing until he wasn't interested anymore so unless you want to just wean him let the process happen naturally. Here is a link http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk that may be helpful regarding nursing toddlers and cow's milk. This link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...html#othermilk discusses "How much additional milk does baby need during the weaning process?"

Let me know if the either of the links don't work.
    Last edited by malleyboo; October 16th, 2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Adding another link
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

You might check out the books Mothering Your Nursing Toddler and How Weaning Happens. It isn't unusual for a toddler's interest in nursing to have it's ups and downs, but even the downs don't mean that they don't need it anymore. DS doesn't seem to be terribly attached to nursing at times, but when he went on a 10 day nursing strike at 17 months, I found out just how important it was to both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by malleyboo View Post
    I think you are fine and as FluffyN says if there's not problem stay as you are. Remember though as your little one gets older and starts eating table food it's a given that he will nurse less and less. With my first son I nursed exlcusively and I didn't have to wean him because he weaned himself. I kept nursing until he wasn't interested anymore so unless you want to just wean him let the process happen naturally. Here is a link http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk that may be helpful regarding nursing toddlers and cow's milk. This link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...html#othermilk discusses "How much additional milk does baby need during the weaning process?"

Let me know if the either of the links don't work.
    Thanks for the great links! They are very helpful.