Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian Needing Guidance

Default Re: Vegetarian Needing Guidance

Indigo Gal...
    Here's a link from Kelly's Mom it's about vegetarian eating and breastfeeding.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/vegetarian.html

Also what you said about having plenty of fat stores I think is completely right I've heard that that is why we gain weight while pregnant, for nursing. I have plenty of fat stores as well... Here's another link about GERD baby symptoms and not gaining adequate weight is one of them.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...refluxsymptoms

Here's a quote from that page...

Warning signs of severe reflux:

Inconsolable or severe fussiness or crying associated with feedings.
    Poor weight gain, weight loss, or failure to thrive. Difficulty eating. Breast/food refusal.
    Difficulty swallowing, sore throat, hoarseness, chronic nasal/sinus congestion, chronic sinus/ear infections.
    Spitting up blood or green/yellow fluid.
    Sandifer’s syndrome: Baby may ‘posture’ and arch the neck & back to relieve reflux pain--this lengthens the esophagus and reduces discomfort.
    Breathing problems: bronchitis, wheezing, chronic cough, pneumonia, asthma, aspiration, apnea, cyanosis.
    RosePetal...

My son had similar red bumps/patches and I eliminated dairy and they went away. They would also get redder the more upset he got. His skin was very sensitive if you touched his face it would get a red spot. But since I cut out dairy his skin has totally cleared up. Cutting out dairy and soy products does limit your variety especially with already prepared foods and fast foods. But I try to go with fresh unprocessed foods and plenty of fruits and veggies. He also used to swallow alot when he layed on his back similiar to when a person has stomach acid come back up. But now that's gone too.

You might want to check out the allergy section?

Hi! You are getting great advise here and I have not much more to add except a vote of confidence. It sounds more like your issues are with the GERD than being a veg. As a veg going on 10 years, it is totally possible to meet all your baby's needs and bf.

Do you wear your baby? I used to nanny a baby with GERD and wearing him really helped.

Keep up the good work! I am impressed with you sticking with it in the face of adversity. I know how hard it is to be questioned about your diet and your ability to feed your child. I'll be thinking of you!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi