Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it lipase? Any help appreciated!

Question Is it lipase? Any help appreciated!

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing the same lipase questions but I am at work and don't have much time to look through previous posts and am hoping for some help.

On Mondays when I go to work I send LO to the babysitter with defrosted BM, from about 2 months prior. Yesterday when I got the leftover milk from the day I just happened to smell the milk and it smelled a little funny so I tasted it and nearly threw up myself, as it tasted like it had already been thrown up. Yuck! Poor baby. So I threw it out and got his bottles ready for today with the milk I pumped at work.

So....the babysitter just called and said he isn't wanting to take his second bottle this morning and she smelled the milk (I told her what I had found last night) and she said it smells a little sour already. How could this be? Is it lipase? I've never had this problem before and LO has been at the babysitter for 11 weeks now.

I'm going to take the milk I pumped this morning out to him when I go out at lunch but I don't know what to do beyond this....

Default Re: Is it lipase? Any help appreciated!

soapy, spoiled ect =lipase
    have you thought about just scalding your milk in a bottle warmer?
    A good thing to find out is exactly how large a window you have before it starts to turn. I have 4 hours, women vary. On the weekend do a test batch ( an oz or so) and check it every hour in the fridge.

What I had to do (when I was pumping to save) was to pump at work, keep it in a small cooler and when I got home I would scald it then freeze it. It stayed fresh longer and didn't have that funny smell when defrosted.

Thank you! Thank you!

So if I scald what I pump at work that night when I get home, how long will that give me? Once I scald it am I set to send it for the next day and be ok all day long?

You can do a trial batch and see, as the PP said every woman's milk is a little different. I work nights so I would pump at 3 am, get home around 8 am and scald it, freeze it and it would be fine until I used it. Once it was thawed it would be okay for about 4-6 hours at room temp. Hang in there

Once I scald mine it is good for days and days. I know we've gone to 5 days w/o issue.

Just incase it is not lipase but a storage temp. issue, I'd also check the temp. of your fridge and the temp of the fridge at the daycare as well -- just to rule those out and make sure those are fine. Also, the fridge is coldest in the center so don't put your milk in the door...

Ok, so after going home last night and finding that the milk I pumped yesterday morning had already gone bad I was really not in a good mood. Then, I went through my entire freezer stash and it was all bad. All of it. 100 ounces down the drain. Not to mention that one full freezer bag full accidentally got left out of our chest freezer Monday by my husband when he was moving things around. I could have cried seeing it sit there on top of the freezer completely thawed. Horrible!

So...since the stuff I pump in the morning won't last until after work to scald it, what can I do? I saw that great big long thread and read through most of it last night and saw something about microwave scalding? How would I begin to know how to do that? What if I put the milk directly in the freezer after pumping it?

I can't believe this is happening. I'm about to give up.

You can get past this. A lot of us have.

I recommend getting a bottle warmer - such as Munchkin brand at Target. Also buy a digital thermometer.

I too have to pump and scald pretty much right away... so what I do is pump then towards the end I get the bottle warmer going. Add more water than the directions tell you. For example, I probably add about 1.5 inches of water to the bottle warmer. Get it going, the water will start bubling. By this time you are probably just about done pumping, remove your bottle and put a cap on it loosely, like maybe 1/4 turn (it will heat up quicker with the cap on). Put that in the warmer... after a minute or two, take off the cap and put in your digital thermometer. Check to see what temp the milk is... leave the thermometer there and when it gets to 145F take out the bottle from the warmer (the temp will probably keep climbing, that's ok and expected. You want to have it be at least 145F for one minute (or 160 for 15 sec) - If you have another bottle, put that one in there and repeat that process. While you are scalding you can clean up the rest of your stuff. When both bottles have been scalded dump out the remaining hot water from the warmer and go about your business. (By the way, the water from the warmer evaporates as you are scalding).

The bottle warmer method has been great for me and I've been doing that for slightly over a year now.

I know it is really rough when you first realize you have a lipase issue but you can overcome this. It takes a little while to get used to but soon you will rebuild your stash and scalding will become just something else you do in your routine.

Best of luck

Wait! I too had 100 oz that was "bad", but you can donate it as it is still good, just tastes funny. They mix the donated milk with other mamas, so it's still is fine. Hang in there mama

Did you already through away your 100 ounces.... if not, as PP suggested, keep it and mix it with fresh/scalded milk. Your might find that your lo will drink the mixed... my lo has some tolerance to the weird odor and taste..

.... Sorry you are going through this, it is hard. You worked hard to pump, you still are... and a bad surprise hit you big. But you can do this....