Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitamin D drops??

Default Re: Vitamin D drops??

I'm going to my LLL meeting this morning. I'm gonna see what the girls have to say!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Do you live in a northern latitude? Here it is recommended that even adults take a supplement because, especially in winter, we don't get enough. that's why I gave them to my son. At first he didn't like them so I would give him smaller doses and worked up to the full dose. Eventually he took them without a problem.

I was really suprised too when I was told about them. We started giving them at the same time. At his one month appt the doctor told us we needed to give them. I was POed at first, BM is supposed to be best, but got over it and decided to give them. I was told once he is on food with vitamin D you can stop. And yes they taste horrible, i tried them, they taste like rust, cause of the iron in them. LO has gotten smart and pushes most out if his mouth.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Just wanted to suggest the tri-vi-sol instead. Smells way better- like berries! My son seems to enjoy them We had poly at first and they even made my baby smell weird... Good Luck with whatever you decide.

I you just want to give vitamin D instead of the combination one try and find one called Di vi sol.

Well being the airhead that I am, I completely forgot to ask the girls at the LLL meeting this morning about the drops!

jbabydoll, where can I find tri-vi-sol? The first one I bought was the poly-vi-sol with iron (which smelled disgusting), but because I ended up having to take iron supplements myself, the ped advised just the poly-vi-sol without added iron. So, I bought the drops without iron (still smells disgusting!). AND THEY MAKE MY DAUGHTER SMELL HORRIBLE TOO! which I'm not happy about cuz she's way too cute to smell like THAT! I'm running out of money to spend on these drops!

I didn't see tri-vi-sol at Walmart or Walgreens, though. I'll look around elsewhere.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    Those drops have a disgusting scent to them! I just tried giving her the dosage, and while she didn't scream or cry, half of the liquid came right back out of her mouth. I'm sure it tasted nasty!
    Yep, I think that's due to the iron in the Poly-vi-sol. I don't know why docs tell you your baby need Vit. D and then tell you to give them this multivitamin with iron, which is almost never necessary in bf babies.
    We tried giving our DD the polyvisol once and she projectile vomited. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by jbabydoll View Post
    Just wanted to suggest the tri-vi-sol instead. Smells way better- like berries! My son seems to enjoy them We had poly at first and they even made my baby smell weird... Good Luck with whatever you decide.
    Did you ask at the pharmacy counter at Walgreens? I thought they had tri-vi-sol but I could be wrong. IMO the best thing would be straight Vit. D (well best after sunlight) but for some reason that's hard to find in the U.S. although routinely used in Canada I believe (right JMahon?). Somebody did post a link recently with a link to some Vit. D that can be ordered online, maybe try searching for threads with "Vitamin D" in them?
    Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on