Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D drops??

Default Vitamin D drops??

Our ped has instructed us to give Poly-Vi-Sol to our newborn who is now a month old. Were told that breastmilk doesn't contain enough vitamin D. I had never heard of this prior to having my baby, even with all the books I read, class I took and LLL meetings I attended. I thought breastmilk was the perfect food on its own.

Has anyone heard about this?

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Vitamin D drops??

Why yes i have. Many of us have heard this same thing.
    Put baby in some indirect sunlight is my suggestion. Dr's often feel that breast milk isn't good enough in general. Here is a good link to help you decide what is right for your family. I would bookmark the link and explore when you have the time. Kellymom is a terrific resource. In addition here is the LLL FAQ page, just look under Vitamins.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; October 16th, 2007 at 11:16 AM.

If you had a winter baby I would say give baby the drops, but since it is still nice out go outside!! the sun will give your LO plenty of vit D in a few minutes. But I am not against vitamins. My DS is on them (with flouride) when I remember to give them to him
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I never gave my alomst 4 year old vitamins until he was older...over a year. My youngest the Vit D drops are still in the medicine cabinet wrapped up. I have no intention of giving them to him either

Here is a link that discusses it. We gave drops for iron after DD was 9 months. I really have not heard of drops in the early months. The ped recommended vit D at DD's 6 month checkup but that was close to summer time so we did not use them.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Our ped suggested it too, and I've read about it in some of my books. BM definitely lacks vitamin D. You need to have lo in the sun for about 20min a day, as much skin exposed as possible, to make sure they make enough vitamin D. The problem is if they're light-skinned like mine they're supposed to be sunblocked if they are out in the sun, which blocks vitamin D production. I don't want them out in the sun without sunblock in the middle of the day, and I work so it's hard for me to get them outside every day for that long in the morning or evening reliably. We figured it was safest to give them the drops to make sure they got vitamin D. That's not a vitamin you want your lo to be deficient in, it's critical for calcium absorption, which they need for proper bone growth and things like signaling in nerves etc.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to give the drops just because we don't get outside every single day. Usually more so on the weekends, because we're out and about. And even then, our family just spends long enough outside to go in and out of places. During the summer, we are out nonstop, though....so I might skip out on on the drops at that time. Right now, the drops couldn't hurt!

Just wanted to see what anyone else has heard and get their advice! Thank you all!

"As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

I thought if they got a total of 30 mins of sunlight a week they were fine. But my pedi hasn't suggested giving him any vitamins so I'm just not going to do it, even if she does ask us to do it. Cause I know he'll get enough sunlight.

Those drops have a disgusting scent to them! I just tried giving her the dosage, and while she didn't scream or cry, half of the liquid came right back out of her mouth. I'm sure it tasted nasty!

They do taste nasty- I remember from my first son.

I'm pretty sure that if YOU have enough vit D, your babe is fine. I don't go outside everyday but Logan get's sunshine every few days and he's fine. You certainly wouldn't need to go out EVERY day

I really don't understand why drs keep insisting that breastmilk is deficient in anything...