Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I have to stop...

Default I have to stop...

My lo is almost 13 months. She shows little interest for nursing, but will do it once or twice a day. I have been pumping (still..) to provide for day care.

But... I will have to travel to France soon to see my mom who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer . My mom will have a major surgery and I want/need to be there for her. After debating back and forth, I have decided to travel without my lo. It will break my heart, but the important person is my mom. I have looked into many options, trust me .... this is the only way.

So we need to wean. I don't think it will hard on my lo. I also need to find a replacement for milk.... and after many research, came to think that goat milk might be the best alternative. My lo *might* be allergic to cow milk.

Thanks for reading.... It has been a beautiful journey, one that I would not have made without the help of many of you. Thank you !

Default Re: I have to stop...

on the 13 months!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

So sorry about your mom and best wishes for a safe journey.
    Just to put this out there, you might be able to resume nursing your LO when you return depending on the length of your trip, if you want to. Sometimes it takes a while for milk to dry up.
    Great job on nursing for 13 mos.!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    So sorry about your mom and best wishes for a safe journey.
    Just to put this out there, you might be able to resume nursing your LO when you return depending on the length of your trip, if you want to. Sometimes it takes a while for milk to dry up.
    Great job on nursing for 13 mos.!
    A friend of mine quit nursing more than a few months ago and she still has milk. Also, if you don't want to quit, you could take along a manual pump and just dump the milk.

Sorry to hear about your mother, and I too hope you have a safe trip.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Thanks Ladies.... I knew I would receive warm comfort, again, on this site . I am considering taking a pump along... we'll see how things develop !

Just another thought... during such an emotional time, it might not be the time to wean, thus causing your body to flip flop hormonally all over the place potentially...
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope that you are able to reach a decision about nursing that brings you peace.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th