Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nervous about Co-sleeping!!

Default Re: Nervous about Co-sleeping!!

i was nervous at first but i really dont co sleep like others do i end up bringing her in to my bed and fall asleep nursing her cause i am so tired then i end up waking up and there she is but the only good thing is that i am a very light sleeper and i wake up with every move noise etc and i sleep alone cause my husband is a truck driver and is not home at night but i would do what is right for you two i am just afraid that she is going to expect to sleep with me all of the time

I was constantly worried in the early days about rolling over on the Peanut but I found out like many other moms that my eyes would pop open the second she would stir or fuss. The only time to worry is if you are drunk, on medication that makes you sleepy or if you are a naturally really heavy sleeper.
    But it is definitely safe in general.
    Just make sure you don't cover the baby with blankets and keep pillows away from the head area and put the baby to sleep on his back. Do not have a baby co-sleep with other young children. Avoid having an overheated or overdressed baby. Don't smoke cigarettes. All surfaces should be firm (never put baby to sleep on a comforter or pillow) and you are already helping to prevent SIDS by giving breast milk! There are probably a few other safety precautions that I'm leaving out but they are already mentioned in the links that were provided by some other ladies.

We bought her a co-sleeper bassinet, the Arm's Reach brand. IMO the mattress was a little TOO hard. She hated sleeping in it and now we just use it to store diapers and stuffed animals. We'll be folding it back up soon because she could roll over soon and get stuck between the bassinet and the mattress. We're also going to do away with the futon frame altogether and just put the mattress on the floor so she is safe from rolling too far onto the floor. I wouldn't trade co-sleeping for anything in the world!! We all love it, and I even sleep more soundly now that I can easily check on her.

We never intended to co-sleep either, but you get SO much more sleep that way. We purchased a bassinet so she could sleep in our room, but I had to get up every hour and a half or two hours, get her out of the bassinet, get set up to feed, feed, then hold her upright for 30 min (reflux), hold her a little longer until she was deep asleep so that I could lay her in the bassinet without waking up, and then get back in bed. By then, I only had another 30-45 minutes before she was up again. Sometimes, I was so tired, I would be falling asleep and nearly letting her roll of my arms. I decided nursing laying down would be easier on both of us.

I was nervous in the beginning, so at first we would sleep together on the couch. Since I couldn't roll on the couch, I felt comfortable with her there. I would sleep on my side, holding her.

After we got comfortable, I brought her to the bed. I've never come close to rolling over on her, and I wake up when she stirs, so I can feed her while she's drowsy instead of having to calm her down from crying first. DH was more nervous than I was, so I put a pillow between us (me and the baby) and him. I have also put a pillow behind me that I can lean back on so that I'm more likely to roll away from the baby than towards the baby.

I think the arms reach co-sleeper is a safe alternative and I will get one for my second baby. Thank goodness the bassinet is a playyard too, so we haven't wasted our money.

I was nervous when we started co-sleeping with our current lo, even tho I had co-slept for 14 months with my older one.

I LOVE cosleeping!!!! I get so much more sleep this way. THank goodness hubby doesnt mind co-sleeping either, although every now and then he will ask, "isn't it about time she started sleeping in her bed?" Last time he asked me this I reminded him that this is my very last baby and I want to enjoy her as long as I possibly can and if that means having her co-sleep then so be it. Luckily for me he really doesnt mind and hasn't mentioned her sleeping in her own bed since
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

We bought a "Snuggle Nest" from BabiesRUs. It's like a little bed that goes inside your bed. Here is what it looks like http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2266116

I felt nervous too, and after a couple of weeks of co-sleeping and absolutely hating it, and getting very little sleep because generally I was nervous and woke up at every little sound or movement from her, I put LO in the crib and just slept in the same room. That worked very well for us. So that was my solution, my version of co-sleeping.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

First of all sorry for the typos I am NAK (nursing at keybored). I never thought that I have my daughter in bed with us but after a few days home from the hospital it was the only way to sleep at night. We bought a sleep wadge so she does not roll and we put her at the top of the bed and we slide down and sleep low on the bed....Its ok for because I am short but my husbands feet hang off of the bed but he doesn't seem to mind as long as we are getting some sleep. but we put her at the top of the bed so if we do roll we and roll on her.....If we did roll our faces ould hit the wedge. And since we seep so low we don't have to worry about our blankets touching her. So far it has been great........ If you are going to cosleep make sure that you are not too tired for it to be safe about it.

Mommy 2 ~Zachary Matthew 1/22/02 and Rylen Elizabeth 10/22/07

Quote Originally Posted by Nursejent245 View Post
    My Lo is 5 weeks and is the first one I have nursed. At night he eats every 3-4 hours but I am so tired from nursing all day that I'm still exausted at night when he wakes. I put him in bed with my husband and me and we both fall asleep. I am so used to hearing " Don't sleep with your baby" from my last 2 kids and co-sleeping goes against everything I learned in nursing school that I feel horrible. Even my husband feels nervous when I do this. It is so much easier to nurse this way at night. Does anyone else feel nervous when they do this and how do you keep yourself from rolling over on your babies?
    I'd rather not co-sleep, but it's the only way I can get any sleep. I co-slept with my first daughter for about the first year in a full size bed with my husband who is 6'5 and built like a football player. That was very uncomfortable for both of us, and we really didn't sleep for that year. But the baby slept better. Now we have a Cal king, and it seems much safer for our newborn and we both have plenty of room to turn over without the worry of smashing her.

By the way, I have an Arms Reach Mini Co-Sleeper. I love it, but she'll only sleep in it for the 1st few hours of the night.

I'm the same way. I absolutely did not want to co-sleep. However, we spent 5 days in the hospital and my LO slept with me the whole time. Now, I co-sleep just so I can get some rest at night. She nurses every 2 hours and I just find the co-sleeping easiest! I've tried putting her in the bassinet next to the bed, but she just fusses.

Quote Originally Posted by catspage View Post
    I'm the same way. I absolutely did not want to co-sleep. However, we spent 5 days in the hospital and my LO slept with me the whole time. Now, I co-sleep just so I can get some rest at night. She nurses every 2 hours and I just find the co-sleeping easiest! I've tried putting her in the bassinet next to the bed, but she just fusses.
    we are only 17 days into it but are co sleeping some as LO just gets into a mood where she will only sleep if she is with mom (dad doesnt count). Right now she is sleeping in the bassinet so we are kind of mixing it up.

I was strongly against cosleeping, but I am definitely pro sleep. Pro sleep won out against anti cosleeping.