Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nervous about Co-sleeping!!

Red face Nervous about Co-sleeping!!

My Lo is 5 weeks and is the first one I have nursed. At night he eats every 3-4 hours but I am so tired from nursing all day that I'm still exausted at night when he wakes. I put him in bed with my husband and me and we both fall asleep. I am so used to hearing " Don't sleep with your baby" from my last 2 kids and co-sleeping goes against everything I learned in nursing school that I feel horrible. Even my husband feels nervous when I do this. It is so much easier to nurse this way at night. Does anyone else feel nervous when they do this and how do you keep yourself from rolling over on your babies?

Default Re: Nervous about Co-sleeping!!

when our lo is in bed with us i sleep fine but i have noticed that i am very aware of her all night. she usually sleeps on top of DH's arm. we have never rolled over on her or even come close to it. when she isn't sleeping with us i turn all night but when she is there i don't move at all. i really sleep better with her there. we love it. everyone told us it is dangerous too but it has been the best thing we could have done. i just wish she still WANTED to sleep with us every night. now she is in her playpen next to the bed.

I always felt like I had very sensitive "mommy-radar" that allowed me to know where my baby was at all times. But, if you feel a need for increased surety that no-one is going to roll on the baby, here are two things you can try:

1. Keep a rolled up receiving blanket in between each parent and the child. That way the baby won't get too close to you, and you will roll onto something uncomfortable before you can roll onto your baby.

2. Buy a co-sleeper. (It's like a sidecar for your bed.) Check out http://armsreach.com/

Iknow what you mean, we vowed not even to have him in the same room... But that all changed after I was getting up every 2 hrs!!! I thought he would be spoiled and never learn how to sleep on his own... but I found out those things aren't true.

the things momma1 suggested are nice!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I never thought I'd cosleep, but like you, I had to do it just to get some sleep in those early months! It can be done safely and that will give you the convenience of having baby accesible for nursing and not feeling nervous about it. Here's a great article that gives tips for safe cosleeping:

http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/5...ing-safety.htm
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It you feel like you are too deeply asleep for your lo to be safe, then you may need to keep her close by, but not in bed with you. We started co-sleeping when DS was older (around 7 months) and by that point we felt very comfortable having him in bed with us. When he was really little, DH and I were so out of it at night that it wouldn't have been as safe. DH tried to pick me up one night when DS was fussing to eat and I rubbed DH's back more than once trying to get DS (who was in his cradle) back to sleep.

Here's some info on safe co-sleeping (including results of research). http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp

I've got an arms reach co-sleeper, as someone else mentioned above. The arms reach site is good for information on the product but I bought mine much less expensively at http://www.albeebaby.com/ It's really good. My lo is 3 weeks. He also likes to nurse a lot at night, when I'm exhausted, so the co-sleeper works very well. I still fall asleep with him on my chest occasionally though, from sheer exhaustion. I think when that happens you are really wired anyway so that keeps your lo safe - but probably means you are not getting the best sleep you could be having, which is not the best thing for anyone.

We started co-sleeping right off the bat and have never looked back. I sleep lightly so I am pretty much aware of him all night long. And when he was that tiny he slept on my arm, now he doesn't want to snuggle too much with me, or if he does he wants to shove his head under my boob and I'm not having that, I know it's probably warm in there haha. So I sleep him alittle bit away from me.
    But for us we finally set up his mini-crib into a sidecar set up. But most of the time he is still in the bed with us.

Also, check this guy out, along with his book Sleeping With Your Baby
    http://www.naturalchild.com/james_mckenna/
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I have felt the same way, I would be nervous all day till bedtime and then just give in to sleeping with her. Now shes three months and I am trying the playpen but hasn't worked yet. Most of the people that warned me don't have children or don't breastfeed . Just look at the websites and don't drink or drug. I sleep in the middle my husband is a heavy sleeper , she sleeps on my arm. I do enjoy snuggling and I ask God to keep us safe.