Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He won't take a bottle now!!

Unhappy He won't take a bottle now!!

Ok I have read some of the other post, but no help for me. He has been eating fine, even with the croup (bad cold). But yesterday, my DH said he stopped taking the bottle. He ate one 4oz bottle while I was gone at work yesterday. And he's going on the same path somewhat today. He seemed to nurse fine while we were together and his cold is actually getting better. so i don't think that would do it, but I don't know....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: He won't take a bottle now!!

My son did this too. We called him a breast snob. He just went through times that he didnt want the bottle. After a few days he would get over it. I have the luxury of working at home so I was able to nurse him at those times. If you have the ability to be there so he gets the milk that is the best bet. Otherwise he will have to wait or get so hungry that he'll eventually take it.

My son does that sometimes too. At this point it sounds like your LO is used to the bottle, and knows what to do. He is just choosing not to.

Sometimes when I am getting over a cold I don't want to eat much...it's got to be the same for babies. All I can suggest it that when you are around him he gets the breast as much as he wants.

could he be going thru reverse cycling?

How old is he now? There could be a lot of transient reasons he might be doing this, teething and sore throats/stuffy noses have always made mine less likely to take a bottle. BUT, they started the reverse cycling hard core when we took a week off for vacation and they nursed exclusively, after that they were like, are you kidding me, I don't want a bottle. It's possible he might be doing this if you've just been exclusively nursing for a few days, but time will tell. Just make sure he's getting at least the minimum amount of nursings for his age and has enough wets/dirties and otherwise try not to worry. Nurse him in his sleep before you go to bed if you don't think he's had enough that day. I talked to another mom at LLL whose baby entirely refuses bottles now, and he's doing fine, just not sleeping through the night.

I have to say reverse cycling is an interesting phenomenon. Mine are now drinking a pitiful 4-6oz a day from bottle, but are boob addicts when I'm home, they nurse like 3x in the am and 3x before bed, then get up to nurse 1-2x at night too. They are probably nursing much more than they strictly need to for their age. I can't say I like them not sleeping as well at night, but I do like not having to stress about pumping, so we're just going with it. I think I may have even been encouraging this cluster feeding behavior in retrospect, but that's ok with me.

thanks so much ladies, maybe it's a phase. One day he takes them fine then the next day he won't.... But it really could be the sickness....