Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 month old attached at the hip 24/7!

Default 6 month old attached at the hip 24/7!

I have posted before about my 6 month old son waking up all night to nurse. We currently have him in the bed with us and he is waking to nurse every 2 hours. I am working part time so this is getting exhausting!!
    In addition, I feel like he wants to be attached to me 24/7! He will not really go to sleep at night until we come to bed - he wakes about every 30-60 minutes and has to be rocked back to sleep again. Also, he will not play by himself for very long without crying for me and during the day naps are hard to come by unless I lay down to nap with him. As much as I love my son I do need some time in the day for myself!!!!!!
    I don't want to let him "cry it out" by any means but am worried that he is too dependent and also that he is not getting enough sleep.
    Any suggestions?
    We go to the dr tomorrow for his 6 month visit so I am hoping that starting solid foods will help!

Courtney - Mom to Luca (born 4/16/07 and not a drop of formula!)

Default Re: 6 month old attached at the hip 24/7!

I really think it's the age. The are so much more aware, but can't really do much. Babywearing was a lifesaver at that age. Do you have a sling or wrap? If not, you might check out the babywearing board for more info. For us, it got much better when DS was about 7 months and got more mobile. Hang in there!

7 months would be great - I can do one more month!!!!
    I do use the Baby Bjorn until it hurts my lower back and I have to take it off. He used to love the sling, but now he straightens his legs and tries to flip out of it!! We may need to try a new carry style.
    Thanks

You are defiently not alone there, my DS is the same way! But OMG he's been taking a nap for a little over an hour! I am amazed... haha I wish I did something more with my time then play around on the computer! But I hope things get better for you!

I don't know what carry you are using, but DS really like the hip carry around that age. It doesn't get better over night, but there is an end in sight! Making a simple wrap from a piece of fabric might also be a solution--I think they distribute weight much better than Baby Bjorns do.

Hi, My lo is doing the same stuff!! Must be a 6 month thing. I read somewhere the 6 month spurt is a big one. I also read somewhere that separation anxiety is at its peak at 6 months then gets better. She is trying so hard to crawl too that it makes her mad she cant. Hopefully it will get better once she gets more mobile. She has been on solids for over a month it seemed to help a bit with sleep etc.. I would try wearing her but she is so heavy (25lbs) that I wonder if it would hurt my back or hip. My hip already hurts though. Hope it gets better.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

This is my first post... I logged on specifically to see if there was advise for me - SAME situation! He was sleeping from 11 or 12 until 3 or 4 in his crib for a couple of weeks. Then it just started going downhill where he pretty much co-sleeps every night, all night (as opposed to just the second half) & wants my nipple in his mouth all night long. I feel like a human pacifier - which I wouldn't mind if I could remove it once in awhile & say, sleep on my back for awhile! Not to mention, I have no idea if its good for him to sleep like that! If he's sucking & not getting anything... or if he does get some milk, couldn't that contribute to ear infections, spitting up, or even choking? He's actually gotten better during the day... he's starting to crawl & entertain himself better for longer periods of time. Our boys have the same birthdays too! Maybe its some sort of astrological thing ;-)

BTW, we started solids about 2 weeks ago & it has not helped... if anything its gotten worse since then. :-(

Solids don't help with STTN- that's an old wives tale

I think it's a phase. Both of my boys did it around that age. Have you tried a mei tai? It has a bit of a learning curve but is far more comfortable than a bjorn type carrier. Right now my son prefers to be on my hip in a ring sling. I think babywearing may really help bc it gives him the attention he wants and you'll have your hands free.

perhaps try a moby wrap using the front facing carry ?

Well we had our 6 month dr visit yesterday and they said the same thing - it is the age! They said the same as people have suggested on here, that once he starts crawling it will get a lot better (but also that we will then spend the time we used to carry him around CHASING him around now)
    We have the hotsling and I did try the hip carry which seems to work a bit better - plus, all of a sudden a few days ago my tummy time hating child has decided he LOVES being on his tummy and I can get 15-20 minutes to get stuff done that way!! Maybe its a step toward getting ready to crawl!!