Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will I ever get to use my frozen milk?

Unhappy Will I ever get to use my frozen milk?

I seem to have a very abundant supply and feel like my freezer is overflowing with milk that will never get used or "go bad" before I get a chance to use it. I nurse in the morning on one side and pump the other side (this milk I freeze). At work, I pump twice a day (about every 4 hours) for 15 minutes and get usually at least 15-18 oz. Anya only eats about 10-12 of it the next day, so I freeze the surplus. She nurses when we get home in the evening and sometimes wakes for a night feeding around 3am. We usually only use the frozen milk if my Mom is watching her for a couple of hours on the weekend, which is infrequent.
    Should I pump for 7 minutes instead of 15 so that I don't express so much milk? If frozen milk is good for 3-6 months, do I automatically throw out any that is 3 months old or older? Or do I try to use it and if the baby refuses it THEN throw it away? I don't want to lower my supply and then have her start a growth spurt and have her get frustrated with me not having enough milk. I really need some perspective here---anyone else been through this?

Default Re: Will I ever get to use my frozen milk?

Find ways to use it up if you feel bad about dumping it. I know I hated it when my milk got wasted because it was too old to be used. Maybe make some dinner dates or something like that? Or have hubby get up at night for a feeding while you get some extra rest? Another option is investing in a deep freeze. I've seen them at Best Buy for as low as $150. They stay at 0 degrees, and human milk can be kept at 0 for a long time- 6 months or longer I believe.

If you find yourself with a supply of milk that you think you may never need to use, consider donating the milk to a milk bank. There is an enormous need for human milk and your donation would help children whose mothers could not nurse. If you're interested, you can find more information at the following link. http://www.hmbana.org/ Many milk banks will accept donations from out of state donors through overnight mail. I donated a large supply of milk when I realized that ds didn't really like frozen milk and it made me feel really good that I made a difference in some child's life.

I donated my surplus until I found more creative things to do with it. I started making momsicles, which my dd loves. I bought some OXO ice cube trays w/ lids from Bed Bath n Beyond and some Safer Feeders from Target. She gets a couple cubes at DC each day. She's now 6 mos, so we started mixing the milk in w/ Rice Cereal.

You don't have to throw it away unless it smells bad or baby refuses it. It lasts up to 4 months in a conventional freezer, but just because you've hit the 4 month mark doesn't mean it automatically goes in the trash.

On a side note, you may want to deal with your oversupply issue, which may help you with the shield. I had a very strong letdown which caused me to use a shield, as well. Once I was able to correct my huge oversupply problem, I was able to stop using the shield. I now pump about 4 oz extra/day, which is perfect for my new-found uses. I used to pump about 16 oz more than dd would eat each day.

I keep rotating my frozen EBM so that I can keep my supply. I hope that I can stop pumping at 11 mopnths and still give EBM for another month. So far baby has had no problem taking the frzen EBM.

I, too, have found myself throwing out frozen milk. Do you have a deep freezer? I've read that it can keep for 6 mos to a year in one if properly stored. Also, have you thought about making yogurt out of it? It doesn't get thick like cow's milk yogurt, but is nice to mix with cereals and use in homemade babyfood recipes. I've read about people using it to make lotion and soap, but that's a little much for me.

I was thinking about this the other day and smoothies came to mind. Well, it depends on how old is your baby, but maybe mixing it with some bananas, mangoes or a fruit juice. Also if DH takes proteins shake BM is great, the combo of the supplement and the nutrients of the milk is perfect; one of my friends offer to buy my milk for this purpose but I told him no.