Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: re: OALD, oversupply and questions re: block feeding

Unhappy re: OALD, oversupply and questions re: block feeding

Hi,

I think I have an OALD and definitely have oversupply. My LO is almost 12 weeks old. She screams when I feed her...but not every feeding. She is on medication for reflux from the doctor, since she seems to be constantly spitting up sour milk. Lately she has been having green stringy BM's and she is fairly gassy. After nursing she is very gassy and burps like a truck driver!

Currently I feed her every 2.5 to 3 hours in general, and initially was feeding from both breasts every feeding....but lately she seems full after one breast....or she just screams so much I finally give up on the feeding. My breasts feel very full if she doesn't feed on that side...to the point that it is painful, and my let down is very very uncomfortable. The milk squirts out for a bit and then drips very quickly at let-down. I'm assuming I have an OALD from this.

So my question is....as far as block feeding goes would feeding from one breast per feed, so switching every 2.5-3 hours, work to decrease my supply? or should I try to go longer than that? Keeping in mind, the breast that's not being nursed is hard and painful by the time it gets nursed.

And my LO has just started sleeping longer at night. The other night she slept 8 hours, yeah!, but I woke up after 6 hours in a lot of pain and my shirt totally soaked...I had to pump my breasts...but then I worry about causing my body to produce more milk. Should I be pumping in the morning?

And I am trying to bottle feed her once or twice a day with EBM to get her used to the bottle so other family members can feed her too....but then I have to pump at that time....do I pump until the breast is totally empty? or just a set amount of milk?

It is so frustrating to have a baby screaming while trying to breastfeed!

Thanks for any info,

Default Re: OALD, oversupply and questions re: block feeding

I was reading somewhere that when you are trying to decrease your supply that you should feed on one side until that side feels empty...and the other breast should be very full. Is this true?

In the past 24 hours I've tried this. It takes 2 full feedings to make my breast soft....and I feed every 2.5 to 3 hours, and overnight it's usually like 4 or 6 hours between feeds. So this might mean that one breast is not being nursed for like 9 or 10 hours. Is this still okay? Or should I just switch sides every feeding, so that I'm nursing from each breast every 6 hours? even though this won't empty a breast?

I wish I would help. I am dealing with the same issue with my dd who is 8wks. I let dh feed her on bottle last night and I did my housework. I paid for it allll night with full and painful breast. I wish you luck and hope this will bump your post up.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I was reading somewhere that when you are trying to decrease your supply that you should feed on one side until that side feels empty...and the other breast should be very full. Is this true?

In the past 24 hours I've tried this. It takes 2 full feedings to make my breast soft....and I feed every 2.5 to 3 hours, and overnight it's usually like 4 or 6 hours between feeds. So this might mean that one breast is not being nursed for like 9 or 10 hours. Is this still okay?

Yup...this all sounds like a good plan. The only thing I would add is to be sure to keep careful track of the side that you are not currently nursing on. If it starts to feel overful, or you notice any lumps or hard spots, you will want to express just enough to relieve your engorgement. Many oversupplied mamas find it easiest to hand express while leaning over the sink or in the shower.

If you do this, you should find that your supply starts to regulate itself within a few days, although it can take up to several weeks for block-feeding to take full effect. Hang in there!

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    I wish I would help. I am dealing with the same issue with my dd who is 8wks. I let dh feed her on bottle last night and I did my housework. I paid for it allll night with full and painful breast. I wish you luck and hope this will bump your post up.
    Becky,

If this was only a one-time occurence, it shouldn't become a long-term problem. Many mothers forget that when they give baby a bottle of pumped milk, they still need to express their milk somehow in place of that feeding--both to relieve engorgement, and to maintain milk supply.

Tiana

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had a major oversupply and OALD in the beginning and it didn't settle down until I did 6 hr blocks, then decreased to 3-4 hrs. I always fed from one breast per feeding too. You can try 3 hr blocks first with feeding one side per feeding, and if it doesn't get better after a week, increase it. You should pump just a little bit from the full breast (not empty the breast) so that you are comfortable. That's so that "full" breast is getting some signal to slow down. Same thing in the morning - just pump a little bit from the "full" breasts to feel comfortable. If you're pumping to feed from a bottle, I was told if you had an oversupply, pump just enough milk for the bottle (unless you need to keep a freezer stash). If you pump more, then your body will make more. Good luck!

you said you are giving reflux meds. Does your LO have any problems taking a bottle or only screaming at the breast? what symptoms of reflux is LO showing? How does LO act after a bottle? in discomfort from reflux?

I am in the same boat as you and have been for months. We have done everything.

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06

Question Re: OALD, oversupply and questions re: block feeding

Quote Originally Posted by ekmaurer3 View Post
    you said you are giving reflux meds. Does your LO have any problems taking a bottle or only screaming at the breast? what symptoms of reflux is LO showing? How does LO act after a bottle? in discomfort from reflux?

I am in the same boat as you and have been for months. We have done everything.
    My LO has been refusng the bottle for the past 3 weeks....she screams when you try to give her the bottle. It's very frustrating...but we're still persisting.

Her signs of reflux are spitting up sour chunky milk often, screaming after burping, screaming when feeding...although that seems to be getting better. We changed meds 1.5 weeks ago and she seems better, but still fairly gassy.

I've been doing the block feeding for a week now, and in the past 12 hours my breasts are no longer engorged, infact they are soft now, is this normal? Do I have to worry that I won't have enough milk?

After around 6 weeks or so many mothers don't feel engorged anymore, and can be misled into thinking it means they have no milk. In truth it is most likely that your breasts are finally in harmony with the needs of your child. Breast impaction is not necessarily the only signal that you have milk. As time goes on you may see that your breasts will produce more than enough milk with out ever regaining the heavy "full" feeling of earlier days.

Can you tell us if you have thoughts on dairy allergies contributing to your babies reflux? How is baby sleeping at night? How are you doing with the added stress?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Can you tell us if you have thoughts on dairy allergies contributing to your babies reflux? How is baby sleeping at night? How are you doing with the added stress?
    I have pretty well eliminated dairy from my diet since baby was a few weeks old, so I'm not sure if it would make the reflux worse, I haven't wanted to try and add it yet....although I do eat some things with milk ingredients far down on the list of ingredients.

Tegan is actually sleeping well in the past 2 weeks....few 8 hour nights, mostly sleeps 5-6 hours, then up for a feed then will sleep another 3 hours. Overall, she is sleeping fairly well.

The screaming while feeding has been getting better....but it is very tiring and stressful, and the screaming while bottle feeding is stressful for both my husband and I. We're still persisting though.

Evelyn