Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cleaning and storing BM

Default cleaning and storing BM

Hi
    I am pumping 3-4 times a day.is it ok if i rinse with soapy water and then boil in microwave for 8 minutes
    also how do i re use stored breast milk as i plan to use storage bags for this.how to get them tor oom tempeearture
    medela website says room temperature breast milk can be used for 4 hours-room temperature =? fahrenheit
    thanks

Default Re: cleaning and storing BM

Let's see... your method of cleaning/sanitizing sounds good. Any milk you freeze has to be frozen within 24 hours of the first pumping. Make sure that any new milk gets cooled before you add it to any older stuff. You can thaw frozen breastmilk by putting it in the fridge to slowly thaw, or put it in warm water. I've always been told that 5 hours in a 68 degree room is the max. time allowed at 'room temperature.' Fridge 5 days. HTH

jackie
    thanks a lot
    'Make sure that any new milk gets cooled before you add it to any older stuff." means cool it in fridge before adding to frozen milk?
    i just added a small sample directly today to frozen milk without knwoing-hopefully ok as just 1 time?
    also did u exclusively breast feed for 1 year?reason for introdcuig no solids even for practise?
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: cleaning and storing BM

If you are topping up milk you pumped earlier in the day and put in the fridge can i bring the milk from fridge to room temperature by warming in hot water or do i have to leave on side to naturally get to room temperature before adding to freshly expressed milk.

I'm very confused about this matter. If it just has to be same temperature then that could be cold (if going in fridge) or room temp or slightly warmer (if going straight to baby) right?

Is this an exact science? How do I know when my freshly expressed milk is cold enough to add to already refridgerated? Or if the fridge milk is warmed enough to add to freshly expressed?

No it is not an exact science. There is so much conflicting information on how long breastmilk is good for that it's difficult to figure out. According to Lasinoh, First Years and I believe LaLeche League breastmilk at room temperature is good for 8 hours. As for adding, I think you're supposed to cool the stuff to be added and then add it to already cooled breastmilk. I've come to the opinion that breastmilk is pretty stable and not particularly hazardous so I don't think if you did it differently than that you will be poisoning your child. Best of luck.