Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: haircoloring and flu shot

Default haircoloring and flu shot

its been almost a year since I colored my hair, I never did it while pregnant. Can I do it while nursing?

Also.... does the flu shot protect my little one if i am nursing? I think she has to be 6 mths to get one.

Thanks
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Default Re: haircoloring and flu shot

You can color your hair while nursing, just don't nurse while coloring your hair

I have no clue about the flu shot, I've never had one

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I know several BFmom's who regularly color their hair.

In Canada, babies have to be two years old before they can get a flu shot. Your baby is getting all of your antibodies to illness through breast milk. When you get sick often your baby gets the antibodies needed to fight it off. If you did get the shot then your body manufactures the antibodies and your baby will also be protected. I didn't get my shot with my little ones and found that when we were sick it didn't last long since breast milk on its own helps get the flu through their system quickly which also helps their immune system develop.

Moms shot's don't fully protect babies, that is as a replacement for a vaccine. (Having said that the flu vaccine only protects you from the 3 strains it's made for anyhow.)
    But here's a link with more info

And yes - you can color your hair.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Your breastmilk is very good at protecting your baby. Rather then getting the flu shot you can just try to avoid people with the flu & continue with a healthy diet (& of course keep breastfeeding)!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    You can color your hair while nursing, just don't nurse while coloring your hair
    Hey, I have had to do that

I colored my hair why prego and while nursing.

About the flu shot. That was my question for ped when we went Fri. He said me getting one doesn't protect DD. So she had hers that day. They have to have it twice, one month apart the first time.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

i will opt to take the flu shot because I am a teacher and I work with preschoolers. This will be my first time to take the flu shot. I just don't want to take any risk of getting sick. I notice that nowadays I easily catch viruses (cough and cold). It might be because of not getting enough sleep at night or getting older My DS#1,who goes to school, will also get a flu mist just to protect himself from other kids who have or will have flu. DS#2 will be 6 months next month but we have decided not give him a flu shot. DS#1 did not have a flu shot until he was past one year and fortunately he did not get sick .

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

I too was worried about dying my hair whilst feeding . A lot of the info on the web said it was safe but I still didnt feel comfortable doing it, you know how toxic they smell!

However after a friend called me 'motherly' I had to do something, so found a lovely herbal dye. Its not henna, (used that before, too much like mud!), but didnt have much of the toxic stuff, bleach etc. And it worked really well! My hair was 'dishwater brown' and went the loveliest glossy black.

My friend who is training to be a hairdresser said she was really impreseed with the condition of my hair afterward.Didnt keep the box so cant give you more info but here is a link to the product.

http://www.herbsgardenshealth.com/na...ir_colours.htm
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

I do both