Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some comforting....

Default Re: I need some comforting....

my sons were eating rice cereal to get them full i even told there ped and she said okay just watch them but you do what is right cause you are the mom no one else and it is your kid and you know them best

my ped told me the same thing at my ds's 2 month check! but i'm just going w/my gut and holding off when I think he can and feeding when I think he's hungry. I don't worry about it as long as he's happy.

Your situation sounds exactly like mine. My baby was 7 Ibs 11 oz at her one week check up and 10 Ibs 2 oz at her one month! My ped. was very supportive and said not to stress right now, but that she did gain a lot of weight. I also go through the same problems- breastfeed all day, and try to give a bottle of breast milk when my husband gets home so I can take a break and a shower. 4 oz is never enough but I don't feel comfortable giving her more more in the bottle, I end up nursing her. I don't have any advice, but I can understand exactly how you feel.

Thanks to all who have responded. Here is an update:

I just came back from my son's doctors appointment and once again I got in trouble due to the rapid weight gain my son is having. When he was born he was 8lbs. 8oz now 6 weeks later he is 13lbs. The doctor lectured me on how much my son weighs.He told me that if I continue to feed him the way I am he will be a "big" boy when he gets older. He then went on to ask me if I knew about childhood obesity and I replied yes! He said well we do not want him to be headed in this path when he is older. I told him that my 1st son was chunkie too and that he lost a lot of weight when he began crawling and walking. He did not seem to care and continued to lecture me.

I think if I see that some babies are in his weight range then maybe I would not feel as bad. It seems that every time I go to see his ped I come back feeling awful .

Frankly, I would change pediatricians. Just my 2 cents. You really can't overfeed a breastfed baby. Go with your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by JManon View Post
    Frankly, I would change pediatricians. Just my 2 cents. You really can't overfeed a breastfed baby. Go with your gut.

you can't overfeed a breastfed baby.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I agree change pedi. Because you should be going with your gut here, and if you don't feel like you are overfeeding him then you are not! And I'm sure he will lose weight once he begins to crawl and walk!

Is it because of the formula that your doc is concerned about the weight gain? I thought that in EBF babies too much weight gain was never a concern. Is it possible for you to pump and give that milk to the baby at night? I also agree change pediatricians if you don't like what he says (especially if you don't like the way he says it). You have a much bigger stake in your child's wellbeing than he does! Good luck!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

my ds was born 7 lbs 13 oz and was 14 lbs at his 2 month check! my ped told me to stop feeding him too but I'm not worrying about it. My hubby was the same way and he turned out just fine...skinniest out of all our friends So I don't think it means our kids will turn out obese.

Hello i am new to this forum just joined today, but smiles_4_u i dont think i would be to concerned, i have a 6wk old little girl she was born at 8lb 9 oz and was 10lbs at 4wks her ped has said nothing of her gaining to fast . I agree with everyone on here, go with your gut .