Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some comforting....

Default I need some comforting....

I was wondering how often your cuties were eating. My 6 week old son is nursed throughout the day but is given formula through the night (for my sanity). During the day he wants to be nursing every two hours (he drinks 4 oz, I pumped it so see how much it was) and at night he will also drink 4-5 oz of formula however, I got in trouble by his ped because he gained too much weight (born: 8lbs 8oz at 3 weeks 11 lbs. 6 oz) in such short time. I feel that I am being a bad mom because he screams and hollers until I give him milk but his ped said that I should only feed him every four hours due to his weight gain. I couldn't handle the screaming so I gave in and gave him milk and he was quiet after that. My mother told me that I didn't want to get him sick from over eating so I better listen to the ped but who can just sit there and hear their baby yell to the top of his lungs because he is hungry. The bad part is that he throws up once in a while and I am assuming it is from over eating. Please, please tell me that your cuties are also eating as much as mine is. Thanks to all who respond.

Angie

Default Re: I need some comforting....

Even at 5 months my son is still eating ever 2 hours, but I dunno maybe he isn't hungry all the time and you just give him milk?? Maybe he just wants to be held or to go to sleep? I dunno I know someone that had a baby in August and they also have gotten in trouble by the ped cause they just feed the baby then put him back to sleep and he had gained a lot. Which I'm sure you are not doing.

But I would say maybe skip the formula at night or give the baby less? Because well they will drink anything from the bottle cause it's so easy they don't even have to work to get out it. So maybe he is over eating at night? Hopefully some other mamas will come along to offer some advice.

Oh yeah and

YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM! I wonder if it's not actually the milk he's wanting all the time, but maybe just the sucking sensation? My daughter is a little over a month old and she eats at least 4 ounces at a feeding. I know that because I also pump occasionally for bottles and she had a bottle today - 4 ounces. She eats every 2-3 hours, but sometimes she eats more and sometimes less. She went through a growth spurt and gained a lot of weight, but my ped didn't say a word about it!

One thing I've found with my daughter is that she'll want to suck sometimes, but not for milk. I resorted to using a binky with her occasionally, because she would fuss for my breast, showing the signals of hunger, then pull away and continue fussing once she started sucking. She acted like she wanted it, but then wouldn't take it. I offered her a binky during one such time and I knew immediately that it's what she wanted...just the sucking.

Just a thought! But don't think you're a bad mom!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

This is my experience....
    My ds was 8lbs 6ozs at birth. She went down to 8lbs 3ozs at her two day checkup and then at her two week check up she weighed in at 10lbs 3ozs. Since I was exclusively breastfeeding the ped told me it was ok. However, she told me to not pump because it would encourage my boobs to produce more milk and the baby didn't need it.

She's a big comfort sucker and used to spit up all the time (sometimes everything in her stomach). The ped once again said all the spitting up was ok and that she was just eating too much which is fine. DS used to nurse all the time. In the evenings she would usually nurse every 45 mins for the first two to three months. Around 6 or 7 months she started regulary nursing every two to three hours. At 10 mos she still nurses every two to three hours.

My ds is 10 mos now and at her 9 mos appointment she weighed in at 25 lbs 5 ozs. I guess all kids grow differently. It will get easier!

Quote Originally Posted by smiles_4_u View Post
    I was wondering how often your cuties were eating. My 6 week old son is nursed throughout the day but is given formula through the night (for my sanity).

During the day he wants to be nursing every two hours (he drinks 4 oz, I pumped it so see how much it was) and at night he will also drink 4-5 oz of formula however, I got in trouble by his ped because he gained too much weight (born: 8lbs 8oz at 3 weeks 11 lbs. 6 oz) in such short time.

I feel that I am being a bad mom because he screams and hollers until I give him milk but his ped said that I should only feed him every four hours due to his weight gain.

I couldn't handle the screaming so I gave in and gave him milk and he was quiet after that. My mother told me that I didn't want to get him sick from over eating so I better listen to the ped but who can just sit there and hear their baby yell to the top of his lungs because he is hungry. The bad part is that he throws up once in a while and I am assuming it is from over eating. Please, please tell me that your cuties are also eating as much as mine is. Thanks to all who respond.

Angie
    Angie,

YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM!

1. 6 weeks is primetime for a growth spurt. So he will want a lot of milk to support all that growing. Mine sure did!

2. The 4oz you pumped may not indicate how much he gets - your baby removes milk much better than any pump.

3. Your ped is, for lack of a better word, an IDIOT! Breastfed babies are supposed to eat frequently and scheduling is really bad. Is it fair to make a hungry baby wait? Your LO may have gained a lot - but that is what he is supposed to do? He has a lot of growing to do this first year and needs the weight to be able to get bigger!

4. All babies (or at least mine and many others I know) occasionally throw up. Their digestive tract is immature - it will get better as they get older.

Breastfed babies are supposed to be fed on demand/on cue. Schedules for these little ones (whose tummies are the size of their fists) just doesn't make sense!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

I agree completely. Never schedule a breast fed babies feedings, feed on demand. Sometimes we end up with a chunky baby and other times we have one that just doesn't gain so well. I have always feed every 2-3 hours and sometimes when their sick even more often. I have had 9 babies, some were chunks others weren't. Feed your baby as you need to and find a new ped. Remember it's your baby not his. Always follow your gut instinct as a mother and you'll do great. By the way if I remember right how is your baby doing with his/her bm's? Trust me I've been through this more than just once or twice and by now I know normal from not. Let me know if you need more help, I'd be happy to help.

Thank you to all who have responded. I truly appreciate your help.

motherofnine: Regarding his bm, he went on his own on Sat and then Sun but he has not gone today I hope we are not starting this drama all over again. I have noticed that he has been extremely gassy and fussy today though. His little tummy feels hard too I wonder if its because of all the eating he has done today. I am going to call his ped tomorrow and taken him back in again.

Ulkieab: I try to hold him to go to sleep but he just cries and cries until that milk hits his mouth. I don't know. I just don't want to go back to his ped and get lectured because of his weight gain. He eats less frequently at night with the formula(every 3-4 hours) so I do not know what to do.

syn_ack89: I really hope its a growth spurt!!

Hrbuckingham: "The ped once again said all the spitting up was ok and that she was just eating too much which is fine." I wonder with as much as he is spitting up if it could be reflux?

shannon1976: "I offered her a binky during one such time and I knew immediately that it's what she wanted...just the sucking." What kind of binky did you use? Because I have offered several different binkies to him and he will not take them.

My ped recommended any orthodontic pacifier, but mentioned that Nuk and the Playtex Orthopro would be the best options for a breastfed baby. While my daughter did take both of those brands, she seems to like the Nuk more. She also likes her thumb!!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

We use the silicone Nuk as well and it works wonders.

If it helps, one of my friends just had her ninth and she is 7 wks now. Her baby is going through the same thing and her ped. told her to put a little prune juice in her babies b of bm. Don't know how well this will work but if you have any more trouble you could try. What her doctor said is that if the babies bm is thick then the baby is constipated at this age. I could go into the whole reason why for you but it would be long so if you would like to talk more then just email me a message. All of these things you're going through with your lo are quite normal so don't worry. You'll make it through and learn alot at the same time. Enjoy your lo.