Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids at 3 1/2 mnths whats too much?

Default Solids at 3 1/2 mnths whats too much?

I know i am supposed to wait till at least 4months but when ur baby grabs at your fork when ur putting it up to ur mouth and trys to grab her older brothers cups i think she is ready. The problem is i am breastfeeding and i dnt want my supply to become to low. Also the other problem i am giving her a tablespoon in the evenings when we eat so she doesnt feel left out after a bf but she grabs the spoon and sits ther with her mouth open wanting more and cries when i say no . So how much can i give her ? HELP??

Default Re: Solids at 3 1/2 mnths whats too much?

I think that's pretty unusual for such a young baby to want to eat. It's really not recommended that solids are introduced until 4 months, and it's much healthier to wait until 6 months. Maybe you can give her a spoon to play with or a cup with a tiny bit of water in it. It's really in her best interest to wait a few more months.

Honestly, any solids at 3.5 mos is too much. Most pediatric societies don't recommend solids until 6 mos. Although she may seem like she is ready because she is grabbing at your spoon and cups she is watching you to learn how do it, not because she is ready for it.

Here is a link about starting solids. Please, please look at it for your childs sake.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

Here's a snippet from it that is really important.

When should my baby start solids?
    Human milk is the only food that healthy, full-term babies need for about the first six months of life. The composition of human milk varies according to the time of day and the age of the baby, so that each mother provides the milk that meets her own baby's unique needs. Human milk provides immunity factors for as long as the baby nurses, and many of the health benefits of breastfeeding continue well into childhood and beyond.

Most solid foods are lower in calories than human milk, of lower nutritional value, and can be difficult for young babies to digest. Introduced early, they can cause unpleasant reactions and even trigger allergies. These problems can be avoided by waiting until your baby is ready for solids. Some parents have found introducing solids before baby is ready to be a waste of time, energy and money.

Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:

he is about four months old
    he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

he is about six months old
    he can sit up without any support
    he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Please take this into consideration. I remember thinking the same thing when my little one was his age. Let us know what you think.

Deb

I know it seems too soon 4 most but my son wasnt ready at 6months i know she is ready and she hasnt limited her bf. Bowel movements are the same she loves the food and it isnt hurting her tummy . So i mite just stick to the 1 feed at night and reasess in a couple of weeks thanks