Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: having surgery med question

Default having surgery med question

hi i'm haveing surgery thursday we have tried weaning for months but dd is not want to wean and i'm ok with that i geuss. but with the surgery and pain meds i was told i would not be able to nurse thats just the surgeon recommendation but i just wanted to check and make sure.can anyone check these meds for me

ceftin
    oxycod
    diazapam
    celebrex

also i'll need these meds for about week so if i pump will she still be able to nurse when i'm off of them,or will she even want to then,

i feel so bad hubby has a hard week ahead of him dealing with her and not being able to nurse.
    although she really only nurses at bed time and during the night occasionally sometimes during the day.

thanks for any help
    jennifer

Default Re: having surgery med question

After my surgery, I was given hydrocodone (sp?) and was told it was okay to nurse. I was also given this pain medication after my tubal when DD2 was born. I nursed after that, too. I used ibuprophen as well.

Amy

Hi jengmom23,
    How old is your little one? What is your typical nursing pattern during the day/night? Would you feel comfortable asking your doctor to work with you to determine if there are any alternatives available? Also, is there anyone local you can call to review the information for these medications available in Hale's book (such as a local LLL Leader or IBCLC)?
    Mary

we usually just nurse at night around 8:30 and sometimes during the night. she is 19 months so i'm not really concerned if we have to stop i just feel like we both still want to.infact writing my post made me cry so i geuss i still want. to just would like to be able to and also use the meds i need.

as far as the leader we have a very small group and would just rather not have all kinds of question and her husband and mine are in the same job and he likes to stay privat and i just feel like she would tell him and so on and so on

if i can work the meds to where its not to close to when she nurses that would be awsome i just want to be 100%safe for her

then her being older i thought maybe it wouldnt be as much of concern

diazeram is as needed
    celebrex is twice a day for one week
    cefuroxime two day before surgery and 1 for the next week each day

Hi jengmom23,
    I can understand your desire for privacy. Just so you know, LLL Leaders are expected to keep helping situations confidential.
    I will try to get you information by the end of the day, OK?
    Mary

thanks mary

I sent you a PM.
    Mary