Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to nurse more often after they turn one?

Default Wanting to nurse more often after they turn one?

My twins turned one last Tuesday and I am going to continue nursing them. I have noticed that they seem to want to nurse more often than before..I don't mind, I was just wondering if this was normal or someone who went through something similar? I nursed my DD til she was about 1 1/2, but she didn't nurse this often.
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

Default Re: Wanting to nurse more often after they turn one?

Hi Celeste,

Congrats on making it to a year!!! We are in the same situation. My two are now trying to go from every 3 hours during the day to every 1.5-2 hrs . I am not sure if it is teething, or if it is them getting bored with playing with their toys (and I am there for entertainment). I have also found that they both tend to nurse for a couple of minutes, then go play for a min, then come back to nurse more. If I try to cut them off after they leave the first time, I am getting little fits (dd just pulled up my shirt, down my bra and latched herself on today )
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Thanks!

Yes!! That is what's happening here as well. They were nursing probably every 4 hours or so? And now, it's more often. I noticed that they are more vocal about their wanting to nurse too :
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

Ladies...the increased nursing at this ager usually means the dreaded molars are coming! Take cover!

Way too lazy for formula

Ds nurses more than ever too. During the day it`s probably every 2-3 hours, but at night he nurses at least 4-5 times. I think he`s teething though. I`ve noticed two new teeth coming out.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Hi DJ's Mom,

Thanks for the warning. It looks like my son has 3 molars comming (along with 3 other teeth), and my daughter has 5 various teeth comming in. I wish the molar fairy would get here soon! We were up every 1.5-2 hrs last night.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

My son has nursed what seems, nonstop since turning 1! He is now 15 months, and I would definitely say he nurses more than he did before. He already has his molars, so maybe it's eye teeth. I'm glad to know it's not just us, because I was starting to get frustrated - I thought we were supposed to be nursing less . . . so thanks for starting this thread!

R

Same thing here! My dd turned one last week and she is nursing all the time for short times and then off to play. I figured it was that she was enjoying walking around and playing with her toys and so doesn't want to take too much time bfing.

I was wondering if I was allowing a bad habit and that I should limit how often I nurse her so that she will take more at one nursing.

Sory to go off topic:
    Your baby sees you as a giant loving satellite. She circles you and knows that the warmth and security of mama is just right there, should she need it. Why bother limiting nursing when she is interested? The world is a busy place, and it is hard to focus on nursing sometimes. have you considered instead that perhaps removing baby into a darkened room with less interesting things might work better?

A giant loving satellite! THAT'S certainly one way to think of me!!

Way too lazy for formula