Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP need guidance...

Question HELP need guidance...

My LC required that I start pumping within 4 days of giving birth because my baby had lost 13% of his weight by his first weigh in (4 days after birth). He is now 7 weeks old and drinks 4oz of breast milk every two hours!! I am barely able to keep up with EXACTLY enough and sometimes I run out and only make about 3oz (baby gets very upset when this happens). He's gained enough weight and looks like he's back on track as far as weight goes (he now has a double chin so I know he's not starving. How much should a 7 week old baby have if I am exclusively breastfeeding. I feel like if I can't make enough I might have to formula feed and I really do not want to. NEED HELP!!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: HELP need guidance...

First of all,
    This was something I was really curious about too, when my LO was younger. Someone recommended that I check into www.kellymom.com for some guidance. On top of having a ton of info on many BF'ing related topics, there is a post about how many ounces per age of the child.
    HTH!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Great Wesite!! However, it looks like my little one is eating twice as much as he should be getting? He eats about every two hours during the day and 4 hours starting at about 9pm. I wonder if he eats more because he doesn't ahve to work as hard since he gets my milk from the bottle?

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Hmm...could be. I know that there are different nipple types for bottles - maybe changing that would help. He could be doing it for comfort. My LO alternates between boob and bottle, and I think that a lot of the nursing she does it for comfort rather than food, although she is still getting milk.
    Have you called your local LLL leader? Maybe she could help you too!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

can you back to putting LO on the breast or is that not an option? That would help your supply.

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06

Hello, do you feel like you can't keep up because you feel that your supply is decreasing? if so you could try Fenugreek--you can get this from any health/vitamin store. Breastmilk is digested quickly (usually in 1.5-2 hours), so breastfed babies need to eat more often than formula-fed babies. I think you are fine though--with my first son I nursed him every hour to two hours (he had a voracious appetite). But as long as you nurse when your baby wants to your body will continue to make milk--it's a supply and demand deal the more you nurse the more milk your body will make. Here is a link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html from kellymom that explains milk production and how it works. Hope this helps!

Mom to Malachi Xavier 8-07/25/1999 & Nicolas Daniel 2 1/2 months-07/28/2007

thanks for the dvise. i'm going to try breastfeeding more often and pumping after. the kellymom website explained the right way to do it. i was only pumpin thinking i would get more milk that way. i'm going to my first LLL meeting oct 30th

how does Fenugreek work ? does it have to be prescribed? any side effects? caffeine in it??

don't be afraid to call your local leader between meetings.
    have you counted wet diapars? And poops thats the way to know if baby is getting milk they need.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

this might help too
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/frequency.html

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac'sMommy View Post
    how does Fenugreek work ? does it have to be prescribed? any side effects? caffeine in it??
    Here are a couple of links that will answer your questions http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html and
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...fenugreek.html I have been taking it without any problems and it has helped my supply increase.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.