Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Encouragement Please!!!

Default Breastfeeding Encouragement Please!!!

Hello all! I had for a second time gotten mastitis in the same month and I decided to stop nursing my 2 1/2 month old (will be 3 months very soon) and just pump because the first time around I tried to continue to nurse and pump but it was just too painful. So, I pump and do formula which I feel bad about because with my first son I nursed him exclusively and he went from breast to cup(not even a pacifier).

My 2 1/2 month old is not latching on correctly and I have tried everything I know how to get him latched on correctly but it is few and far between when he does. When he latches on he keeps compressing my nipple and it turns white.

My issue with pumping is that sometimes I can pump and get 5 oz from one breast, other times it takes two breasts and yet still other times it seems as though I can only get 1 or 2 oz and that's having to use both breasts. I am taking Fenugeek to keep my supply up.

I have put him back to breast even though he is still not latching correctly but the mastitis is gone and the pain is not as bad as it was. I am still having to use formula because there is still some pain and he still wants to nurse frequently as well as comfort nurse and I would like to get him on exclusively and not have to use the formula but I am also having a hard time pumping as well but I have been hand expressing and managing to get any where from 2 to 3 oz using both breasts. Oh, and least I not forget to mention that I am do back to work next week and I have an insignificant suppy stash for his childcare provider. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mom to Malachi Xavier 8-07/25/99 & Nicolas Daniel 2 1/2-07/28/2007

Default Re: Breastfeeding Encouragement Please!!!

Maybe you could try calling your local LL leader for help? Oooor just wait for some more mamas to come around and offer you help! I really don't have any that I can think of, I wish I did! But you are doing a wonderful job with what you are able to do right now! I wish I could get that many ounces out at a pumping session. I just don't pump often enough so I only get 1 ounce with both breasts.

Keep on the great work and lots of for you! You will get all the support you could ever hope for from these forums! I love them and these are some awesome mamas here... oh and

Sorry no advice really about your supply issues. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who can help with that. Hang in there with the latch and just keep trying as much as you can. I know how difficult it can be. It took my DD 10 weeks to get it, so right around where you are now. Since you said you're supplementing with formula, what bottles/nipples are you using? It could be causing some nipple confusion. When I switched to Playtex NaturaLatch nipples, it made all the difference in the world for me. Might be worth a try. Hang in there mama!

[QUOTE=Ulkieab;316287]Maybe you could try calling your local LL leader for help?

I was looking over the site and noticed there is a membership fee, which I can't afford at this time--will I still be able to get help from a LL leader and will it be limited?

Since you said you're supplementing with formula, what bottles/nipples are you using? It could be causing some nipple confusion.

I didn't start out supplementing my son was initially exclusively breastfed--it wasn't until I got mastitis a few weeks later that I had to introduce formula. Latching was difficult from the beginning. I just have to figure out how to get him not to compress my nipple.

Memberships are totally optional. (It helps support the organization if/when you can afford it.) A leader will be happy to talk to you on the phone for free.