Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What I'm feeding my 7 1/2 month old Daughter.

Default What I'm feeding my 7 1/2 month old Daughter.

So, I really just want others thoughts as to weather I am doing all right here. Right now I am nursing her four times a day and if she wakes up at night on both sides. She also has cereal and a jar of fruit in the morning. Two jars of baby food in the afternoon and some cereal at around eight before she goes to bed. She is gaining plenty of weight and is a very happy baby. I am just looking for a little insight. I read one woman's post and she said she is nursing her 11 month old eight times a day. I want to start with other foods, more then jars of baby food soon

Default Re: What I'm feeding my 7 1/2 month old Daughter.

At that age, ds was still nursing 10-12 times a day. At 9 mo he still nurses at least 8 times; he's never gone less than that. Every baby is different; yours might just be an extremely efficent nurser.

Is the 4 times a day bf on demand? Does she still have enough wet diapers?

My twins are 7 mos old. They are still nursed for all nutrition. I have no idea how many times a day - a lot. They get solids when we eat dinner. I give them some baked potato or puffed rice and they eat whatever they get to their mouths.

Breastmilk should be a babies prmary nutrition for the first year. Solids are more for exploration of taste and texture.

DD just turned 7 months and she gets 1 ounce of sweet potatoes at dinner time. She nurses or takes EBM 7 times during the day and usually sleeps through the night.

DS will be 8 months on the 9th...He is BFed 5x/day and sleeps through the night from 7p to between 5:30-6:30am. It was longer til 7-7:30a, but that changed with the time change.

I made my own babyfood and froze it in ice cube trays. He eats between 1/2-1 full ice cube size 1x/day. I still plan to EBF until a year, but not sure how to transition all this which is why I'm skimming the forums.

Our care taker asked if he should be getting more solids during the day. He seems satisfied during the day on BM, but is waking up earlier in the mornings than he was hungry and I'm not sure what to do about that. Because he is still tired, but will eat and go back to sleep. I miss the schedule we had from him sleeping 12 hrs and it seems like he needs more sleep.

sonjuanja - there is a Sleep or Lack of It forum that may have more info of the type you're looking for. However, sleeping in a 10 to 11 hour stretch is AWESOME for any age baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie, Thanks! I will check that out!

My son is just over 8 months old, has 3 meals a day and snacks. He will only drink very small amounts of milk from his dcp, so they tend to mix a lot of it in with his solids. He also nurses morning, evening and through the night. At weekends he has less solids (often doesn't want breakfast and about half as much at other times then usual) because I let him nurse on demand and he's less hungry as a result.

My LO has always been a greedy boy and even after letting him nurse until he's done (and I definitely don't have supply issues) he still tends to eat lots of solids for his age. We try to stick to foods he can feed himself, so there's less risk of us overfeeding him.

I know my LO isn't a typical example, but I guess every baby is different. For most babies his age there is no need to have solids as more than a learning experience.

I think at 7.5 mos breastmilk should still be baby's primary source of nutrition and solids are for exploration, learning and fun. We did baby led solids and basically skipped purees and cereal. I offered solids usually 1x day at least but they didn't form a major part of her diet until 8-9 mos when she went to daycare. At 7 mos she nursed about 8x day and generally sttn. Once she went to daycare we would nurse when together on demand. During the week that is about 4x day, on the weekend more like 6x. That is about where we are still at and she is 14 mos. If you search baby led solids in this thread you will find lots of info as it is a very popular approach on this forum.

HTH!
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

At that age, I think SW was still nursing 6x/day, though he may have dropped down to 5x. I would nurse him in the morning; he got 3 bottles @ daycare; then I would feed him as soon as I got home (amazing how the most crappy day turns right-side up as soon as you get your baby latched on and smiling at you). For several months I would wake him up before I went to bed to nurse again (at around 9:30 or 10), then he slept through the night - but I think around 8 mos or so I just let him sleep.

His daycare was so gung ho about feeding him solids. It was a struggle to hold them off until 6 mos - they were nice about it, just very persistent. I made my own purees (skipped cereal), and started letting him eat off their menu (which is pretty healthy - no pizza or anything like that) around 7-8 mos. He really only ate solids there though; I was too lazy to "feed him" in the evenings or on the weekends. It was just so much easier to nurse!

While I didn't do strictly BLS, it was sort of a hybrid b/w that and doing jars/cereal. I will say that I have MUCH fewer problems than some of my friends getting my now 16-month-old to eat different things - he's always eaten "real food".
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos