Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long do growth spurts last?

Default How long do growth spurts last?

My four month old twin girls got a bad viral infection and have gone from sleeping 12 hours at night to waking up 2-3 times each every night. I thought it was the cold but they are over the worst of the coughing and when they wake they are hungry and will feed for 30 minutes to an hour. I am guessing the 4 month growth spurt is hitting at the same time. How long do the growth spurts usually last? If I feed them more frequently during the day will that maybe help with the night waking?

Default Re: How long do growth spurts last?

In my experience, growth spurts don't have a set time. For my ds, they can last anywhere from 1 day to several. Overall, it is different from child to child based on the which growth spurt it is (age that is) to gender, etc. Plus, with your girls getting over a cold that could also effect them, especially if they might be nursing more for comfort as they start to feel better.

Ours have usually lasted 2-3 days. But, like pp said, it's different for every baby, and the illness could be having an effect too. Here's a better time frame to go by: Growth spurts will last exactly 2 seconds less than the amount of time it would take for them to kill you! (That's how it feels at least, right?)
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

And "comfort nursing" while a child is sick or teething is different than regular comfort nursing in that they are often nursing more frequently due to being in pain and breast feeding offering actual pain relief. My son always nurses more when he is fighting something. HTH. Just let them nurse away if you can. It's the absolute best thing to do for an infection.

Way too lazy for formula

My DD just had her 3 month growth spurt which felt like it lasted two weeks -- I stopped keeping track but all of a sudden she went back to eating every 3-4 hours instead of every 2, so mama can actually get some stuff done around the house
    I think the 6 week one took about 7 days.
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09