Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please don't think I am stupid, but..

Default Please don't think I am stupid, but..

I am a FTM expecting my son at the beginning of Sept and would like to know how I know if my nipples are flat or just really small?? Before I got pregnant the only time my nipples were raised above my areola was when I got cold or turned on. Now that I am pregnant they are raised a little bit but not much. I know that the baby breastfeeds and not nipple feeds but will my nipples pose a problem??

Truly embarrassed,
    Jenna

Default Re: Please don't think I am stupid, but..

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBnippleproblems.html
    someplace on line there are pictures but its supper time...
    I'll write more later.

Hi Jenna, that's a great question. It sounds like they are flat. You can ask your midwie or doctor to know for sure.

Medela makes breast shells that can be worn during pregnancy that may help the nipples to come out. I believe Babies R Us carries them. Here's a link: http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/breas...ml#Therashells

I also have flat nipples, and it did make it harder for me and my little one to latch initially. I had a IBCLC (lactation consultant) come to my home to help me. We started out with a nipple shield, but I was able to get rid of it after a few days. My son is now able to breastfeed without any problems. The nipple still looks flat most of the time, but baby knows to give it a good suck to pull it out.

My advice for you is to have contacts set up beforehand in case there's a problem. Then you will know who to contact right away.
    Last edited by jentut; June 2nd, 2006 at 03:25 PM.

Not a stupid question at all!

Do they still come out when you are cold? Does the nipple stick out if you gently squeeze the breast tissue?

You are right, the baby latches onto the areola, not just the nipple. Most mothers with flat nipples can breastfeed. Sometimes adjustments need to be made, sometimes not.

Here's an article that you may find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/flat.html

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My nipples to come out about a 1/4 of an inch if I am lucky when I get cold and if I push back on my areola a few times then they will do the same. Should I ask my OB to look at my nipples?? I have never had a doc comment on them before even when I had a breast exam at the beginning of this pregnancy.

your doctor might not know.. I went to a new ob with my 3rd son and he told me mine would not work for nursing.. I laughed out loud at him and said "oh realy I have nursed 2 babies with out any problems". And hes just shook his head.
    The thing to do when the baby is born is avoid all bottles, if the baby never gets a bottle then he will not have to over come nipple preference.
    Do you have a copy of the womanly art of breastfeeding? IT has a good picture of Inverted nipples. Get some good help lined up before the baby comes.
    contact your local lll leader! then you'll have somebody to contact after the baby is born.
    good luck