Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weekend nursing -- low supply?

Default weekend nursing -- low supply?

I've been having a frustrating time trying to nurse on weekends. On weekdays, we're now down to just morning and nights. He dropped his naptime nursing session when he started daycare in August, and he's been doing just great napping there without nursing to sleep. However, on weekends, he still wants to nurse before his nap, and I'd really like to keep doing it. However I find it throws my supply all out of wack. There's enough milk to satisfy him for his nap (especially since he eats lunch right before), but in the evening I always find my supply is way down, and he always wants more. He'll quickly demand "other nu-nu" and then start in with "more nu-nu" -- he'll nurse twice on each side and still not get the knockout dose that usually puts him to sleep during the week. Then during the night he'll wake up more than usual wanting to nurse -- last night he must have been up 5x or so! Anyway, I'm tired (where's the yawn smiley?!?) and I'm wondering if I should just give up nursing during the day on weekends and let his dad put him down for a nap. That makes me a little sad, though, as I love the naptime snuggle. Anyone have similar experiences with low supply when nursing on weekends? Or any suggestions on what to do?

Default Re: weekend nursing -- low supply?

I went back to work when my son was 12 months. In order to prevent that imbalance in supply from weekday to weekend, I decided to pump during my lunch break. Now at 15 months, I'm lucky if I can pump 3 oz, but that still seems to keep him happy - he drinks that milk from a sippy before his afternoon nap at day care.

Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. What if you stepped up your frequency of nursing sessions during the week? For example, pumping, or nursing after work?

If you're not comfortable or able to pump or nurse more, then you could employ some weaning tactics for that weekend nap (dad putting him down, offering water or juice instead, etc).

I know that pumping would bring it back up, but I pumped until he was about 18 months, and I'm done now. There's no way I'm going back to regular pumping, except maybe if we're going out for the evening (then I pump for the babysistter). We're in a good pattern during the week, he's eating well at daycare and at home (except when he had an ear infection), and we're enjoying nursing at night. It's just tough on weekends. This evening again, he definitely wanted "more nu-nu" after nursing twice on each side and exhausting what I had there. I told him "nu-nu's all done, nu-nu's sleeping," and he finally seemed to accept that and rolled over and went to sleep. But a couple of weekends ago he was up screaming in the middle of the night for "more nu-nu" after sucking me completely dry. DF had to go down and get him some milk in a sippy to calm him down. I find it physically exhausting to have him dry-sucking for what seems like forever without falling asleep.

The funny thing is that a couple of weeks ago I was afraid he was weaning when he stopped nursing for several days during an ear infection. Now he's definitely back with gusto. Nursing definitely means a lot to him. It's just so frustrating when I don't have enough milk to offer him.
    Last edited by annie; October 14th, 2007 at 07:01 PM.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Have you tried a bedtime snack on the weekends? Maybe if you offered an extra snack on nights you know supply will be low, he wouldn't be as upset about the amount of BM. Not sure if it would work, but probably worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    I've been having a frustrating time trying to nurse on weekends. I'm wondering if I should just give up nursing during the day on weekends and let his dad put him down for a nap. That makes me a little sad, though, as I love the naptime snuggle. Anyone have similar experiences with low supply when nursing on weekends? Or any suggestions on what to do?
    I just suggested this to someone else --I am also registered with pumpmoms another wonderful group specifically for nursing moms and a couple of things that was suggested for increasing supply was Fenugreek which you can get from any health or vitamin store and eating oatmeal. I am taking the Fenugreek and it increased my supply as soon as day one (I am sure that it will differ from person to person). I am also having a great time eating Oatmeal cookies!!!!! I would definitely give the Fenugreek a try. I hope this helps!!

A snack before bedtime on weekends is a good idea, the only problem is that we eat dinner right before bath/bed anyway, so there's not much time for a snack. I guess I could offer him a treat like an oatmeal cookie after he announces he's "all done." But we don't usually do desserts and I don't want to get in that habit.

I already eat oatmeal and I drink Mother's Milk tea (which has fenugreek), although I've done less of both since we've but back on nursing. I am trying to go back to having these on weekends, although I don't think it's enough. There goes that teakettle right now.......
    Annie

Annie,

I imagine you've thought of this, but I've noticed that when I start to get concerned that my supply isn't quite what DS would like it to be, then, bang, I get my period. My supply seems ok most of the time but it does seem to fluctuate with my hormones. (Even mid-cycle somehow)

I am really stretching here--could you give him a liquid snack like water in a sippy before bed? Maybe while toweling off from the bath?

Quote Originally Posted by Trisha View Post
    I imagine you've thought of this, but I've noticed that when I start to get concerned that my supply isn't quite what DS would like it to be, then, bang, I get my period. My supply seems ok most of the time but it does seem to fluctuate with my hormones. (Even mid-cycle somehow)

I am really stretching here--could you give him a liquid snack like water in a sippy before bed? Maybe while toweling off from the bath?
    Yeah, its possible, I did get my period this weekend, so that may have contributed to the supply drop -- but this has been happening just about every weekend so it seems like a pattern. I usually get a drop twice a month, mid-cycle (around ovulation) and just before my period. So that could contribute.

Tonight he was kind of fussy at dinner (didn't like the black bean soup with rice) so I offered him an oatmeal cookie after dinner, which he gobbled up, and then asked for more. Then he didn't actually want to nurse much at bedtime. In fact, just after starting (with his usual "mmmm, nu-nu"), he pulled off and burst into tears, saying "done, nu-nu" over and over, and refusing to nurse. I calmed him down, and he nodded that yes, he did want to nurse, and then nursed fairly well on one side, but not too long on the other side, certainly not the marathon sucking he was doing all weekend. I don't know what the fussing was about -- maybe he was remembering that yesterday I told him that nu-nu was "all done," and that memory upset him. Or maybe it tasted funny. Who knows???? Sometimes nursing is still such a mystery.
    Annie

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I work f/t and nurse first thing in the AM, and at night to put the twins to bed. I pump after my morning nursing because they don't "empty" me, and then they have a little more MM for during the day. I nurse more ad lib on the weekends and don't pump.

Unfortunately, I too don't have enough anymore to keep up w demand (ever since dropping my lunchtime pumping during the week). I've ben on domperidone over a year, too (although I'm not sure how much difference it really makes). Fenugreek and blessed thistle didn't help, and I don't think oatmeal made a difference for me, although I eat it a lot of it anyway. (The herbals tend to be ineffective after the first several months of nursing, or so I've read.)

It takes me nearly an hour to pump, and it was simply too much for me to continue after 12 months. Thus, my kids are offered cow's milk or water during the week after they've finished their MM. On the weekend I avoid nursing them in the afternoon to assure I'll have enough for bedtime, and give them CM instead generally. Because I don't pump weekends, I don't always get emptied, so that can negatively affect my supply. I offer them to nurse a 2nd time on weekend AMs if they haven't initiated themselves to try to avoid that problem. My drop in supply by the end of the weekend has nothing to do w AF. Rather, I'm sure it's that I don't always get sucked dry!

Not sure that helped at all, but you're not alone. I figure any MM is better than none, and they look forward to "nigh-nigh" time because they get individual snuggle time and "num num milk".