Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help, 5 mth old won't sleep!

Default Please help, 5 mth old won't sleep!

I really don't know what to do, since Thurs my 5 mth old won't sleep during the day for more than 20 min, she previously had 2 naps totaling 3-4 hrs a day! She is also cutting her nighttime sleep short by about 1-2 hrs. She seems to need more sleep than this since she cries all afternoon and evening. She is teething but Tylenol hasn't changed anything for her. She doesn't seem sick, no fever, congestion or anything but we are all miserable. This morning she wouldn't go to sleep at all! We had been on a pretty average nap schedule of roughly 9 am and 1 pm. All my Mom can say is that she isn't getting enough food! That is so frustrating to me. I have offered more frequently and she often refuses. We haven't started solids yet so she only gets breastmilk. She is growing great at 18.5 lbs at 5 mths! Please help, I am about to lose my mind!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Please help, 5 mth old won't sleep!

no advice, but my 6 week old will only sleep for 20 minute spurts throughout th day, sometimes 1-3 hours IF i'm lucky... but even at that, that's only 1 x per day... then she's up every 2-4 hours at night... good luck to us, right?

Hi, Just wanted to say I feel for you. I went through the same thing with my lo just last month when she was 5 mo. That was a hard month! I think it was teething and a growth spurt etc.. She would not sleep long for nothing!! I tried everything. Now she is 6 month and doing better. Plus she just got her two bottom teeth. I think she is going into another spurt though. She gets sooo fussy if she doesnt get her sleep. I just think she is going through alot with getting her teeth plus she is just starting to crawl etc.. She is more aware. Her brain is probaly going nuts and its affecting her sleep. Hang in there!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Totally with previous posters. Same thing happens every time dd has cut a set of teeth-can't settle into a nap any longer than 30 min where she normally would do 1-1.5 hrs and waking up about 1-2 hours early, not able to go back to sleep, even though you can tell she's tired. IMO your Mom's advice about being hungry isn't true-if she's offered the boob and doesn't take she's OK. If it makes you feel any better, Tylenol does nothing to help my dd either-I have recently been suggested by other mamas here to try the Hylands teething tablets and am going to pick some up tomorrow. They say they work wonders so we'll see

Also learning to do new stuff really does disturb thier normal sleep too, so hang in there -she might be dealing with teeth and learning to sit.

Have you tried laying down with her to nap? Sometimes that can get my LO to nap a bit longer and you probably need it too

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Thanks for your replies, it has been so hard! She has been rolling over and sitting more so maybe that is contributing. I just don't know how we can make it another day with her so upset. She has been teething off and on with nothing breaking through. I will have to try the Hylands. I think I may check with her ped in a day or two just to be sure nothing else is wrong. I know they said not to assume that its teething cause you might miss something else.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.