Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often does your lo nurse?

Default How often does your lo nurse?

My twins are now about 13 months and still nurse 5-6 times a day plus 1-2 times at night. How often do your los nurse? Any suggestions on how to start cutting it back?
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Default Re: How often does your lo nurse?

First off major kudos for exbf twins! My LO is 12 months and nurses anywhere from 2-5x a day and then at least 2x a night. I find that now that Chloe is busy scooting everywhere and playing she is less interested in nursing all the time. lol I'm sorry I have no idea on how to get more spacing.

We were down to 3x a day. Now that she's teething, it's anybody's guess. Usually we nurse when I get home from work, at bedtime and first thing in the morning. On the weekends, we also nurse at naptime. Sometimes she gets up in the night, too, but not always.

How did I get her to cut down a bit? By giving her a cup of juice, milk, or water with meals. She loves solid food and loves fluids in a cup. She was used to getting a bottle, so I think that helped. Also, Daddy gets up with her more in the night, now. If he can rock her back to sleep, he does. That has cut down on the night time nursing unless she's really hungry.

We do 2-5 nursings sessions/day. My LO nurses first thing in the morning, sometimes when we get home after work, definitely before bed as we nurse to sleep, and we do any night wakings, usually 1-2. My LO is 13 mo old. I don't plan on cutting back yet so I'm sorry I don't have any advise on that.
    Sylvie
    Mom to Alex
    born 9/14/06

m/c 3.19.09

dd nurses 1-3 times a day. she always nurses when she wakes up, sometimes after her afternoon nap, and if she wakes up in the night i nurse her then.

we recently went from about 3-5 times a day to just 1-2 times a day. Big change but something I was ready for. She still has her moments when she will want it more often, but her Daddy no longer approves of our nursing realationship, so I really only let her nurse at private times

My 14 month old nurses 3 to 4x.
    A few days ago it was more like 5x. But it's been up and down maybe because she is teething.

My 12 month old nurses about 6 times a day plus one or two night feedings...I've been thinking about weaning but she's such a finicky eater I'm not in the hugest rush...however, I'm already starting to field the "so is she weaned yet?" questions from others....

My LO is 25 mos and nurses 1-2 times per day now. At 12 mos or so, I recall she was nursing about 2-3 times per day and 2-3 times per night (so I guess 5-6 times in 24 hours). If she was sick (which was not often) or teething she would nurse more often. I was and am also a WOHM and that's about the time I stopped pumping because she was not taking ebm during the day anyway.
    She has gradually cut down (with some encouragement from me) to where she is now, but it has been a process.
    I highly recommend the book How Weaning Happens for some great tips on gentle mother-led weaning for different ages and temperaments of children. It really helped me to lessen the number of feedings over time, while being sensitive to my DD's needs.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We're at 22 months and nursing morning, bedtime, and 1-3 times a night. We also nursed at naptime until he started daycare in August; now he nurses naps only on weekends. He definitely still really wants to nurse at those times, especially bedtime. I agree with Molly that the book How Weaning Happens is wonderful, really helped me in terms of thinking flexibly about the weaning process.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup