Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My Baby Is One Month Old - Still less than 1 ounce total each time I pump!

Exclamation Help! My Baby Is One Month Old - Still less than 1 ounce total each time I pump!

Please Help! I have been pumping and breast feeding over one month and still am only getting about an ounce each time I pump between both breasts. My milk never "came in" - I never became engorged. Whether I pump 8 times a day or 5 times a day I only can produce 5-6 ounces total. My baby (which is my first) is almost one month old and has been supplemented using formula due to my low milk supply and jaundace since he was 5 days old. I have been to two different lactation consultants to get different opinions and need more support...

My baby latches on well and has the suction of a shop-vac - but my breasts just seem to top out at one ounce.... about 3/4 ounce in my right breast and 1/4 of an ounce in my left breast.. I have tried using the SNS so I at least feel like I am breast feeding... but the baby does not remove all the milk in my breasts and I still have to pump which is really hard sometimes as I am home by myself and it is hard to get two hands all day. Though I experience leaking when he cries or when I wait too long to pump or breast feed.

I have had my blood work tested to check out my testosterone, prolactin, HCG (for retained placenta fragments), and thyroid and EVERYTHING came back normal... I am sure I am suffering from post pardum depression because I feel as a failure as a mother that I cannot produce enough milk to feed my own child. No one else in my family has had supply issues... I am taking Fenugreek four pills four times a day and also tried the MothersMilk special blend and that actually reduced my milk supply. I ate oatmeal for breakfast for a few days but that didn't seem to do anything. I tried drinking a beer, that wasn't effective either and didn't help with my depression either.. It seems I may have insufficient glandular tissue in my breasts- but my breasts did grow during pregnancy a cup size and were tender during the first 3 months, which are counter indicative of that problem from the limited research I have been able to find.

Does anyone have any other ideas, plans I could try, or know anyone else who has suffered from this and was able to come back and have a successful breast feeding relationship? Does anyone know or have any idea if with a second child they were able to have a higher production of milk?? Or at least have any words of support as struggle with depression and providing any milk for my child... I don't want to give up! THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by LJ's Mommy; October 13th, 2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Default Re: Help! My Baby Is One Month Old - Still less than 1 ounce total each time I pump!

Firstly the amount you pump is much less than what baby gets from the breast directly. Have you tried any herbs to increase your supply. Fenugreek seems to help quite a lot of mom's on this forum. Also remember the more you take out of your breast the more you'll make. Try pumping after nursing even it nothing comes out. This will tell your body to start producing more milk. If you are trying to increase your supply try not to supplement with formulas as this can make it harder to build up a good supply. Are you drinking enough water? And getting enough rest? If you are over tired and stressed out your body also can't do a good job at producing milk. I have used domperidome and it has really worked for me. Also fennel helps with the let down. Just hang in there mama!

Default Re: Help! My Baby Is One Month Old - Still less than 1 ounce total each time I pump!

You are doing a great job Mama!!!!!! Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

The only advice I could recommend is to worry less about pumping and have that baby at your breast at all times! Don't think about ounces this early in the game. Just have that baby at your breast whenever he wants to nurse. At one month, your baby should be glued to you! The suction of the pump is not the same as your baby's suckling. You can not bond with the pump as you can with your baby. Don't worry about ounces, as long as your baby is getting enough wet diapers, he/she will be fine...

Good Luck and please hang in there... Put that pump away and enjoy !
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

As the other poster said, drinks lots of water.. Personally, I eat alot of oatmeal and think it can build your supply, but I don't know if this is proven!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maritzape View Post
    Firstly the amount you pump is much less than what baby gets from the breast directly. Have you tried any herbs to increase your supply. Fenugreek seems to help quite a lot of mom's on this forum. Also remember the more you take out of your breast the more you'll make. Try pumping after nursing even it nothing comes out. This will tell your body to start producing more milk. If you are trying to increase your supply try not to supplement with formulas as this can make it harder to build up a good supply. Are you drinking enough water? And getting enough rest? If you are over tired and stressed out your body also can't do a good job at producing milk. I have used domperidome and it has really worked for me. Also fennel helps with the let down. Just hang in there mama!
    How much more milk did you produce with the domperidome? Isn't that illeagle in the US? My baby drinks almost 25 ounces a day and he lost a ton of weight when I went back to breast feeding. I am afraid to just breastfeeding as before he would breast feed and act like he was full, but was just too tired to keep breast feed and he lost 10 ounces in 3 days! I will admit my water intake varries greatly and will try drinking more water every day. I am on Fenugreek 4 pills four times a day and that helps add about 15 - 25% to my production. I also will try and get more sleep - but with a new baby how do you do that?? Thank you for the words of encouragement! I will keep trying. Any other ideas?

It all sounds so familiar to me as I was in your shoes several months back. Just know that you are a wonderful momma. I know this because you are struggling to do anything and everything you can to give your LO the best start possible. When you hold your baby in your arms and your LO looks at you, that baby sees and understands that you are THE momma... no other person can be that to your baby but you, regardless of what those darn breasts do. Trust me, it will get easier and each time you think you cannot go on any longer and you've told yourself (again) that you are a failure, some ray of hope will come along and you will keep at it because you realize that every mL of breastmilk you give your baby counts.

You ask whether anyone has come back from this to have a successful breastfeeding relationship... well, what I can say is that when you're up against low supply, you may find that "successful" has to be modified to fit your own experience. I think it's a success if you give your baby every single drop of breastmilk you can get your body to make. I think it's a success if your baby enjoys laying in your arms and nursing, even if you have to follow it up with a bit of formula afterwards. Success doesn't always have to be the full breastfeeding experience we originally hoped for. I mean, work for it. Do everything you can to make it happen but in the end, do not beat yourself up over something over which you have little control.

Here are the things that I did that I think helped... sleep when the baby does, feed yourself, eat some form of oatmeal once a day, drink loads of water, and take a prenatal vitamin. I also take Fenugreek and Domperidone. Try not to focus too much on the pump. Some women's bodies just don't respond to it. I rented a hospital grade one for 4 months and finally my LC agreed that the pump was actually counterproductive for me... of course, by that time, my son was 4 months old and removed every last drop of milk on his own.

My baby gets half breastmilk and half formula. After trying everything in the book and working with a LC and LLL for 4 months, I still could only get my body to produce 1 to 1.5 ounces every couple of hours. So, I nurse then follow up with a 2 oz. bottle. A tidbit I learned at a LLL meeting that changed my outlook on having to give my baby formula... nursing first gives your baby plenty of breastmilk to help him process the proteins and such in formula that are hard to digest. So, even though it seems like sometimes it's not worth it, I just remind myself that he needs that breastmilk. Please do not give up momma, you can do this!

Quote Originally Posted by LJ's Mommy View Post
    How much more milk did you produce with the domperidome? Isn't that illeagle in the US? My baby drinks almost 25 ounces a day and he lost a ton of weight when I went back to breast feeding. I am afraid to just breastfeeding as before he would breast feed and act like he was full, but was just too tired to keep breast feed and he lost 10 ounces in 3 days! I will admit my water intake varries greatly and will try drinking more water every day. I am on Fenugreek 4 pills four times a day and that helps add about 15 - 25% to my production. I also will try and get more sleep - but with a new baby how do you do that?? Thank you for the words of encouragement! I will keep trying. Any other ideas?
    I'm don't think domperidone is illegal in the US. There are quite a few mom's form the US that uses it. If you have a hard time to find it you can email Dr Jack Newman and he'll email you a script. His email drjacknewman@sympatico.ca. My production went up quite a lot with the domperidone. And like PP said. Breastfeed first and then give formula. Hope you get your supply up soon!!

domperidone has worked so well for me ... I used to get 10 ml now I get 4 oz everytime I pump.... send an email to Dr. Newman talk to him about any possible reason why you are not producing enough milk (dont think u dont have enough milk based in what u pump) Drink lots of water (I try 70 oz/day about 9 full glasses) I didnt produce enough due to birth control pill prescribed by my ob... personatlly it was and it is very dificult for me to talk to any health care provider about breastfeeding only for at least six month my ob and Jennies Pediatrician fliped out when I mention that ... they both recomend formula as main supplement bf as snack crazy....

Good luck .... call your LLL she will defenetly give u a good advice

Congratulations on your new baby! You are doing a great job! I have also struggled with low supply and it is such an emotional roller coaster. I don't think I can say anything better than what Jacey'sMom already said. She really hit the nail on the head!

When my LO was younger (he is 5 months now) I would nurse, supplement and then pump. I rarely got more than 1/2 oz. when I pumped. I also took Fenugreek, tried Reglan (which I didn't like) and I'm still taking Domperidone. Domperidone isn't illegal, it just isn't available in the US (except in compounding pharmacies) because it isn't FDA approved. I also tried oatmeal, skin to skin contact and cosleeping. After all that, I was able to EBF for 2 months. When I went back to work my supply dropped again. We are back to supplementing with some formula and I've made peace with that.

Did your LC weigh your LO before and after a feed to see how much milk was transferred? That really helped us.

Are you getting help for PPD? Your baby needs a healthy mama!

Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Oh, yes... I forgot to mention the cosleeping. Thanks for reminding me, JDunn. I cosleep with my baby and nurse him all night long, any time he asks for it (which usually works out to be about 4 times per night on both sides). This is a really great way to get plenty of breastmilk down your baby without all the stress and work you have to put forth during the daytime. I give him 2 oz of formula before bed, as with all his other daytime feedings and then I don't give him any more formula til the next morning. He gets enough breastmilk over night that it keeps me from having to add even more formula to his diet. Many babies will nurse more easily and better overnight. Plus, there is research that shows that nursing more at night is better for baby's growth since the growth hormone is excreted overnight and they actually use the breastmilk more efficiently for growth during that time. Plus, it's a real bonus to wake up next to a beautiful baby grinning at you!