Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking Vagifem

Default Taking Vagifem

Has anyone ever used Vagifem for vaginal pain during intercourse? I do not want my milk to dry out, affect the baby, or have weird side effects.
    Kelli

Default Re: Taking Vagifem

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    Uh, why did your doc give you that? Have you tried lube?
    Yes, and I am not really dry. I just have a lot of pain!

What is in the vagifem? Is it estrogen? If so, estrogen can cause a decrease in milk supply. How old is your LO? I had a lot of pain for many months, but it gradually got better on its own. I don't remember exactly, but I'd say it took until *at least* 4-5 months pp to feel relatively comfortable (though still not normal). Things returned to normal when my cycle returned at around 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by llmommy View Post
    What is in the vagifem? Is it estrogen? If so, estrogen can cause a decrease in milk supply. How old is your LO? I had a lot of pain for many months, but it gradually got better on its own. I don't remember exactly, but I'd say it took until *at least* 4-5 months pp to feel relatively comfortable (though still not normal). Things returned to normal when my cycle returned at around 9 months.
    It is an estrogen pill that is inserted vaginally. My son is almost six months. I got my period at six months w/my first child, so I might wait it out. However, sex should not be painful and right now it hurts so bad! I have a friend who said she tried estrogen cream and it helped her. I don't know what I will do yet, but I hope it gets better soon.
    Thanks

I don't know anything about that, but if I were you, I'd just wait until my period came back and see if that helps. I personally freak out over taking medicine unless I really have to, and it seems like your period might come soon since it did around this time with your first one. For me, sex is still uncomfortable now at just over 4 months but I'm waiting. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyChristopher View Post
    I don't know anything about that, but if I were you, I'd just wait until my period came back and see if that helps. I personally freak out over taking medicine unless I really have to, and it seems like your period might come soon since it did around this time with your first one. For me, sex is still uncomfortable now at just over 4 months but I'm waiting. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Thank you. I agree w/you about not taking things. I just don't want to do anything unnecessary. I breastfed my first for 19 months (he weaned himself) and I want Andrew to wean himself too. I would hate to loose my milk. Knowing me I will just wait for my period or be a trooper for my hubby and tuff it out!